Just popping in.....

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

oopsorganist

Just popping in.....

Post by oopsorganist »

Hello
We sang this one year - I had been so ill - I had nearly died - respiratory problem, overwork, that sort of thing. Four weeks in hospital on an antibiotic drip - I think they use that antibiotic to clean toilets..... certainly tasted like it.
Hear it again. So beautiful.
https://youtu.be/V__-tIOZF0E
uh oh!

Southern Comfort

Re: Just popping in.....

Post by Southern Comfort »

Great piece, great recording! Although it doesn't sound like it, the piano part requires virtuoso technique to perform as written (Antoine Oomen was a concert pianist), though you can adapt it somewhat.

The modern Dutch school is massively underrated and underused.

One for the present pandemic is Huijbers' Hold me in life, so simple and yet so effective. The original octavo was in F, but there's a version in D which is much more user-friendly.

oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

uh oh!

oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

uh oh!

oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

Hope you are OK Southern Comfort. Myself just fine.
uh oh!

oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

Me, I have not been to Mass since oh, well, maybe last March? My distress over this is profound. Liturgy matters? It does not. Things are worse than this.
Meanwhile, as a good early years teacher should, I have studied the data. Let us get back to life and to faith.
My plea would be for a nice open air Mass. Anywhere. Preferably in Yorkshire.
Where is the church leadership in all this madness?
Where is our trust in the Lord?
For the afterlife.
"All will be well, all manner of things will be well."
I am horrified, by the collapse of Christianity before this psy ops nightmare.
Sorry, me, always vigilant.
If we die from a virus then God wants us home.
Pitiful naive faith.
And complete trust in the Lord.
uh oh!

Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Hello, oops !

I do understand your anguish.

I have been fortunate to be able, some of the time, to play the organ in a large, freezing (!) building where I am normally well away from others.

But I have not received Communion for a year and have no wish to do so. It's simply not safe for me, or, I believe, for anyone, to get that close. It's a sacrifice I consciously make in solidarity with the millions of people in other parts of the world who have little or no access to the Eucharist for months or even years at a time.

And because Communion for me carries a strong implication of Communion with others, which we do not really have at the present time, it makes sense for me at another level. Communion is something that we all do together., as part of one celebrating body. During the pandemic, however, it has become, as it was before the Council, individualised consumption. I am not missing that! And I know that when the day comes that I can once again receive in comparative safety, in the midst of a real liturgical assembly and not just a gathering of individuals keeping their distance from each other, it will mean so much more.

Some wonderful people have died in the past months. God must have wanted them very much — more than you or I, at any rate.

It is our duty to stay safe, not so much for our own sake (though I certainly do not want to die before whatever is my allotted time) as for the sake of others. I'm afraid we live in a changed society, and this pandemic has brought out both the best and the worst in people. There is much thoughtlessness, stupidity, selfishness abroad. I see it every day when I am out exercising. And the result of that is not just anger but a realisation that we have to do even more to keep ourselves and others safe in order to try and counterbalance the unthinking actions of others.

So be comfortable with staying at home. You are doing your bit for the common good!

All this shall pass.

oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

Ah that is comforting Southern Comfort. Somewhat anyway. You do indeed understand my grief.
Alas and alack. I am not home. I am out and about. Fully caring for my family and my friends. With my life at risk apparently. But I will give my life for others if need be.
So far though, I am still alive.
I do understand that others, older, maybe less well, are afraid and are shielding etc.
uh oh!

oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

(though I certainly do not want to die before whatever is my allotted time)
No. Your allotted time is your allotted time.
Believe.
Have faith.
Your allotted time is your allotted time. It cannot be hijacked because the UK Government says it will be.
uh oh!

alan29

Post by alan29 »

This will pass.
The worry is what will be left when full worshipping re-starts.
We are allowed 80 in our socially distanced church. We get under 60.
I go. I play hymns. People appreciate it. We give sad little waves across the building to each other which are answered by thumbs up, or the waggling hand "so-so" sign. We exchange news of the absent outside. Communion in both senses happens.
So many deaths in the parish. I am playing more funerals than ever. Sad quiet funerals with under 30 mourners all spread out round the church. It feels like the plagues in Exodus.
The housebound are not receiving communion - that is grievous. It was their regular contact with the rest of the Body.
I go to the supermarket. I go to church. Thats it.
But it WILL pass.
Short term pessimist. Long term optimist. Thats the way.

blackthorn fairy
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Wellingborough Northamptonshire

Post by blackthorn fairy »

Lucky you Alan29. We too have lots of deathhs in the parish but the first funeral I have been asked to play for since January 2020 will be in two weeks' time.

alan29

Post by alan29 »

blackthorn fairy wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:04 pm
Lucky you Alan29. We too have lots of deathhs in the parish but the first funeral I have been asked to play for since January 2020 will be in two weeks' time.
I have two this week. It feels like I am doing something positive in this awful situation.

dunstan

Post by dunstan »

Reading this thread ... we are truly blessed in rural Warwickshire. We have mass on Tuesday, Friday and Sunday with a booking in system. Stewards supervise gently and wipe everything down after mass. I play hymn tunes and incidental music and sing the Psalm from the organ bench. Communion is supervised and the priest gels his hands in our view before its distribution. But we've been fortunate, we're a small parish but we've not lost a parishioner to COVID.

Other family members do the shopping, so it's my only transmission risk. I got in my car the other day for the first time this year: I turned the key and the dashboard readout said "Who are you?" (Actually it complained about a low battery and ordered me to drive around for a while).

Take care all.
It's not a generation gap, it's a taste gap.