Hymn for deceased parishioners

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

John Ainslie

Hymn for deceased parishioners

Post by John Ainslie »

Some years ago, my then ex-Anglican parish priest brought to my attention a hymn in honour of deceased parishioners. We sang it each November for a number of years. It is from the New English Hymnal (208): I have changed the beginning to read 'In our day of remembrance' instead of 'In our day of thanksgiving'. Attached.

The given tune (originally in D-flat) works well. Or you can just fit the words into WAS LEBET, WAS SCHWEBET ('O worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness').

Recommended.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter

Re: Hymn for deceased parishioners

Post by Peter »

Sadly, having downloaded the files I couldn't open them - or rather, when I did they just appeared as gibberish! :( :?
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Post by organist »

Love it but it s a real tearjerker :(
Ros Wood
Parish / Diocese: Christ the King Chingford - Brentwood Diocese

Post by Ros Wood »

Yes, since we had an Ordinariate Group with their priest join our parish we have sung this every year on our Parish Feast Day - Christ the King. And yes, it is a real tear-jerker as your remember former parishioners.

But it is a great hymn.