RR Terry's Mass of Saint Gregory

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

MaryR

RR Terry's Mass of Saint Gregory

Post by MaryR »

Someone has contacted me to ask whether the Society can help him to locate a recorded version of this on CD. I've searched via Google but can only find sheet music.

Can anyone help?

Mary Rouse
Secretary
Society of Saint Gregory
nazard
Parish / Diocese: Clifton

Re: RR Terry's Mass of Saint Gregory

Post by nazard »

The only place I have ever heard this done is at Downside. You could contact their shop to see if they have ever recorded it.
Reginald

Post by Reginald »

And on a similar note, does anyone know of a recording of the Rubbra Missa a Tre which I believe to have been written specifically for the Society?
Scholastica

Post by Scholastica »

Details of a Rubbra recording below .....

RUBBRA Five Motets; Four Carols; Missa á 3; Lauda Sion; The Beatitudes; Five Madrigals; Two Madrigals; Mass in Honour of St Teresa of Avila. Voces Sacrae/Judy Martin. ASV CD DCA 1093. [66.44] [PC]

"Two CDs of marvellously eloquent and committed choral performances. They will delight and refresh staunch Rubbra fans and enrich those yet to be converted."

think this is a Chandos recording .....
Reginald

Post by Reginald »

Thanks Scholastica

Reginald
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Another piece written for the Society was Lennox Berkeley's Salve Regina (unison and organ, Chester 4725, 1955). My copy of the score has the dedication For the Society of St.Gregory above the beginning of the music, but the outside cover has a later printed line added at the top: Church Music Association of the Society of St. Gregory. I wonder how many of us remember that the CMA split off from the SSG in the 1950s under that composite title, then became the CMA tout court, before re-amalgamating with its parent twenty years later?

The SSG used to have a policy of commissioning music - not least for its Summer Schools in the 1970s, which provided a huge amount of newly-written material for the Mass and Office each year. Time to revive this?