Exsultate Deo

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Exsultate Deo

Post by docmattc »

Does anyone know if there is an SATB arrangement of Palestrina's "Exsultate Deo" available, and if so where from? CPDL has it SAATB or SSATB but I'm not blessed with sufficient voices to split either my sops or low women. Can I get away with just losing a part?

Thinking ahead to the parish feast in June

Hope the rest of everyone's Trids go well
Alan
Parish / Diocese: Holy Redeemer Pershore [Birmingham Archdiocese]

Post by Alan »

I don't think a 4-part arrangement would work. The five parts are equally important, whether in leading off on new 'points' or in imitating them. You can't conflate the two alto parts into one because they overlap too often. Even with the organ accompanying (which some scholars think is perfectly OK), it would sound incomplete.

CPDL has an SATB seting by Scarlatti. It's OK, but it's not Palestrina. :cry:

Who is your patronal saint? Perhaps people could suggest other suitable titles.

Happy Easter, everyone.

Alan
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

Happy Easter everyone.

Parish is dedicated to the Sacred Heart, not something I admit, I can get very worked up about.

We're having a big arts festival on the weekend of the feast and I wouldn't mind doing something at the Sunday Mass that the choir can get their teeth into. Can't be too complex or long though. Takes us a long time to learn stuff as most don't read music and have to have it hammered in (not literally, even if the temptation sometimes exists!)

It has to be seen as prayerful by the congregation, a situation I remember a few years ago where we were applauded following a communion motet has to be avoided at all costs :cry: Neither do I want to fall into the trap of 'performing' something just because its impressive that we've learnt it without any relevance to the events, or readings of the day. I'm talking myself out of this as I type!!
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Happy Easter

As an alternative look at Viadana 'Exultate Deo' - 4 parts, uses text from psalm of day.

CPDL page

Gabriel
musicus

Post by musicus »

That's a good suggestion, Gabriel. I've sung this piece, and it works well - not too difficult either.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
quaeritor

Post by quaeritor »

Have just had modest success with "Jubilate Deo" - Lassus - CPDL - commendably brief (2 pages) - neither "Exsultate" nor Palestrina, but it might suit your requirements.
Ian

Post by Ian »

The Lassus "Jubilate Deo" is excellent where a short, joyful polyphonic motet is required. I sang it today, and it went very well. However, it was an away game (evensong), so I'm very I'm pleased to hear of it being sung in a Catholic parish church. Why should the Devil have all the best music? :-)