Holidays and holy days

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Alan
Parish / Diocese: Holy Redeemer Pershore [Birmingham Archdiocese]

Holidays and holy days

Post by Alan »

Why take pot-luck when holidaying in strange climes? Use this thread to ask your fellow posters for recommendations.

My wife and I are holidaying in Yorkshire this year - no flights needed, thank goodness - basing ourselves near Leeds. Can any forum members tell us of any Sunday Masses where the liturgy is to die for (so to speak) and the folks are welcoming? We wouldn't be heartbroken if there was no Latin :wink:

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

Of course, several places might not be under full steam right now. If you were to visit us in the next couple of weeks you would find, for example, that the Gloria is not sung. We don't have a through-composed Gloria in our repertoire – that's my fault and is top of my list for sorting soon – and with three of the four cantors who lead the responsorial settings being on holiday... Cancelled our rehearsal last week because so few people were around and might have to do so again in a fortnight. Tomorrow I'm going to try programming the psalm into our digi-piano so I can sing it myself – far from ideal (not because of the piano but because I sing flat!) All in all, it can be a tricky time of year.
Alan
Parish / Diocese: Holy Redeemer Pershore [Birmingham Archdiocese]

Post by Alan »

That's true, of course, Merseysider - my own parish is practising its a cappella singing until September. Still, it's not just about the music ;-)