Rite of Election

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

SOP
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Rite of Election

Post by SOP »

We have just had the Rite of Election this afternoon and it was curiously flat. I know it has not been too well organised this time round and was hastily put together by a couple of people.

Just wondering what other people do for this service.
Tsume Tsuyu

Rite of Election

Post by Tsume Tsuyu »

I was involved in a Rite of Election service today too. I'm pleased to say that I had the opposite experience to you, SOP. (Gosh! I hope we weren't at the same service :) ). I found the whole thing very uplifting. Just looking at the long line of people, all expressing their desire to enter fully into the life of the Church, actually made me think about what I already have, and to be thankful for it. The readings, prayers and music at our service were all carefully chosen to reflect what was taking place and I came away feeling that positive things are happening in the Catholic Church.

I'm sorry you had a negative experience today, SOP. In what way was it flat? Is yours a Diocesan service? I'm not sure whether that's what happens around the country, or whether individual parishes hold their own services.

TT
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Re: Rite of Election

Post by presbyter »

SOP wrote:I know it has not been too well organised this time round and was hastily put together by a couple of people.

Phew - :roll: - don't sound like the one I was at - that was organised by four - not a couple - of people.

Just wondering what other people do for this service.

:shock: we use something called the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults SOP
presbyter

Re: Rite of Election

Post by presbyter »

SOP wrote:Just wondering what other people do for this service.

Last year: 2003

Opening Hymn - Praise to the Holiest

Word:

Romans 10: 8 -13
Psalm and Gospel Acclamation combined - Joncas "Eagle's wings" (Psalm 90)
Luke 4:1-13

Rite of Election:

During the enrolment -

Hymn: God the creator
Psalm 22 - My shepherd is the Lord - from Psalm Songs
Hymn: Make me a channel of your peace
Psalm 138 - Farrell O God, you search me and you know me
Psalm 42 - As the deer longs - from Psalm Songs
Hymn - Do not be afraid
Canticle - 2 Cor 6/Joel 2 - Now the acceptable time - in Resurrexit

Act of Election

Acclamation - "Lord Jesus Christ, your light shines within us" - Taizé

Final Hymn - Church of God, elect and glorious
followed by a "going out" refrain - "Behold, behold, I make all things new" - Iona

This year 2004

Opening Hymn - Be thou my vision

Word:

Ephesians 5:8-14
Psalm 22 - Gelineau
Gospel Acclamation - Farrell - Praise to you O Christ our Saviour

Luke 11:1-13

Rite of Election:

During the enrolment -
Psalm 42 - As the deer longs - from Psalm Songs
Hymn: Christ, be our light - Farrell
Canticle - 2 Cor 6/Joel 2 - Now the acceptable time - in Resurrexit
Hymn: Make me a channel of your peace
Psalm 103 - Bless the Lord, my soul - Taizé
Hymn - Gather us in - Haugen
Psalm 33 - Happy the people - Dean
Hymn - Jesus Christ is waiting - Iona

Act of Election

Acclamation - "Lord Jesus Christ, your light shines within us" - Taizé

Final Hymn - Will you come and folow me? (The Summons) - Iona
followed by a "going out" refrain - "Go in peace, the peace of Christ" - Haugen

So what did YOU do

:?:
SOP

Post by SOP »

That sounds more like it. It could just be more because last year I was involved in putting the day together and we had quite a bit of music. This year, as I said, it was left too late so a couple of people hastily selected things and printed off the booklet.

Opening hymn: All are welcome - Marty Haugen
Responsorial psalm: Like the deer that yearns - Fintan O'Carroll
Gospel Acclam: Glory and Praise to You - Chris O'Hara
Call forward catechumens: Father God, bless this family - John Schiavone
Election of Catechumens: Eagle's Wings - Joncas
Call forward candidates: Father God - Schiavone
Intercessions: Lord hear our prayer - Taize
Final hymn: Tell Out My Soul

It is probably a mix of things that made it feel 'flat'. The cantor was moving around the place, sometimes at the front of the altar, sometimes at the back, sometimes out of view! No microphone but picked up by the mike on the ambo when at the front, not picked up at all when in other places. Except for Eagle's Wings and Tell Out My Soul, everything else was 'taught' about 10 minutes before the start.

I remember last year as being so much more joyous and an event. In comparison this year seemed almost pedestrian but obviously I hope the people involved did not feel like that. Even things like last year a school i n the diocese created hangings so there was one for each column in the cathedral. This year - nothing. There again, there were only 43 people called forward this year whereas last year the cathedral was packed with parish groups. It is hard to pinpoint exactly why it didn't feel uplifting. I suspect the unfamiliar music could be a large part of it.

I think it is a wonderful service and must be uplifting for all those parishes with RCIA programmes to see their catechumens and candidates being welcomed in formally.

The answer is to make myself more involved next year!
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

SOP wrote:The answer is to make myself more involved next year!

:lol: if that were here SOP, your motive might be seen as wanting to have a nose around an episcopal residence.... our R of E is planned on the dining table :wink: .... and yes, the Bishop is involved.

It would be interesting to hear how other dioceses approach this event. Anyone got any information/comments ?
SOP

Post by SOP »

:lol: if that were here SOP, your motive might be seen as wanting to have a nose around an episcopal residence.... our R of E is planned on the dining table :wink: .... and yes, the Bishop is involved.

It would be interesting to hear how other dioceses approach this event. Anyone got any information/comments ?

LOL - our event is organised by the Religious Education Centre and last year's was planned around the dining table of one of the directors! The Bishop writes the welcome page and his secretary approves the rest.

I also would be very interested to hear how others approach this event.