Cardiff & Menevia - Two Dioceses, one Bishop

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

keitha

Cardiff & Menevia - Two Dioceses, one Bishop

Post by keitha »

Not strictly a matter of liturgy (yet!), but interesting to note that Bishop Mark O'Toole (Plymouth) has been appointed Archbishop of Cardiff (succeeding Archbishop Stack) and, at the same time, Bishop of Menevia (currently vacant) thus uniting the two dioceses "in persona Episcopi". So they remain separate dioceses with separate curia etc, but have the same bishop. One wonders how this will play out in the long term...

The liturgy bit is that I assume there will be separate installations in Cardiff and Swansea.
Keith Ainsworth
Southern Comfort

Re: Cardiff & Menevia - Two Dioceses, one Bishop

Post by Southern Comfort »

Menevia was originally part of Cardiff, so the infant returns to its mother, in a sense. There have been rumours for a while now that Menevia was not financially viable. Perhaps not having to find its own episcopal expenses will help.

The installation in Cardiff is announced for 20 June. Nothing has been said about Menevia, and he wouldn't technically need to be installed in more than one place. I would suspect that he will simply organise a formal visitation pretty soon after installation in Cardiff.

The folk in Cardiff are going to miss +George Stack's excellent preaching.
FrGareth
Parish / Diocese: Sion Community for Evangelism (Brentwood)

Re: Cardiff & Menevia - Two Dioceses, one Bishop

Post by FrGareth »

Well, in the end +Mark did have two installations - in Cardiff on 20 June and in Swansea (the cathedral city of Catholic Menevia) three days later. As a Cardiff priest, to me he is Archbishop Mark, the Archbishop of Cardiff. I am not sure what circumlocations my Menevia confreres will use in practice since he is Archbishop Mark, the Bishop (or is it Archbishop-Bishop?) of Menevia!
><>
Revd Gareth Leyshon - Priest of the Archdiocese of Cardiff (views are my own)
Personal website: http://www.garethleyshon.info
Blog: http://catholicpreacher.wordpress.com/