Easter Vigil lights.

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

alan29

Easter Vigil lights.

Post by alan29 »

According to my Missal lights are extinguished before the Vigil starts, but I can find no instruction for when they are switched back on, just an instruction to light the altar candles for the Gloria.
Have I missed something?
High Peak
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Nottingham

Re: Easter Vigil lights.

Post by High Peak »

After the third "Lumen Christi" and the Paschal Candle has been placed on a stand next to the Ambo or in the middle of the sanctuary, the lights are lit throughout the church, except for the altar candles.
High Peak

Post by High Peak »

See the link below from Fr Paul Turner's blog (an excellent resource) for a description and explanation.

https://paulturner.org/lights-at-easter-vigil/
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

High Peak wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:43 pm After the third "Lumen Christi" and the Paschal Candle has been placed on a stand next to the Ambo or in the middle of the sanctuary, the lights are lit throughout the church, except for the altar candles.
Surely we should remain in candlelight for the Exsultet!
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

Definitely Exsultet in candlelight.
High Peak

Post by High Peak »

Nick Baty wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:20 pm
High Peak wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:43 pm After the third "Lumen Christi" and the Paschal Candle has been placed on a stand next to the Ambo or in the middle of the sanctuary, the lights are lit throughout the church, except for the altar candles.
Surely we should remain in candlelight for the Exsultet!
I would agree that, atmospherically, that works. But it is not what the rubrics state.

I can see the argument for the rubrics but there is something quite lovely about the Exsultet being sung in candle light; and have seen it done that way in elevated establishments where, in most other things, they do everything as stated in red.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

The same rubric was in the 1969 Missale Romanum and people ignored it then, so why not now? It's not the only error of judgement in the Third Edition of the Roman Missal by a long way.

In my experience of Easter Vigils, not only has the Exsultet been sung by candlelight but the readings have also fairly often been proclaimed in a darkened church, the lights coming on at the Gloria. It means that readers need to have a torch to see by, and there needs to be some form of light for musicians to lead the chants between the readings.

I think these days, when people often do all seven OT readings instead of just three or four, it's a bit much to ask a congregation to sit with lighted candles all the way through. Better to extinguish their candles so that they can focus on the Word and not be distracted by avoiding wax spillages.... But still have the readings in darkness. This is, after all, a Vigil that will only end when the sun rises on Easter morning.
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Southern Comfort wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:12 am The same rubric was in the 1969 Missale Romanum and people ignored it then
People ignoring rubrics? Surely not!!! :lol:
Southern Comfort wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:12 amthe readings have also fairly often been proclaimed in a darkened church, the lights coming on at the Gloria.
In my previous place, we didn't have a Gloria at the vigil – instead, everything went mad at the Alleluia/Ps117.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

We have readings in darkness too, candles extinguished and shaded reading desk lights for readers and musicians. The only living flame is the Paschal Candle.
Massively symbolic.
Lights on and bells at the Gloria. Members of the congregation bring bells too. We always sing a Gloria with a refrain so they ring during the refrain. Joyous.
High Peak

Post by High Peak »

Fr Paul Turner's explanation is worth reading........

"......the lighting of altar candles at the Gloria is a holdover from the preconciliar Vigil, which separated the service into two parts: the Vigil and the Mass. Mass did not begin until the altar candles were lit at the Gloria. Everything before that was the Vigil. This was reinterpreted after the Council, and the entire service is considered mass. This became even more explicit in the third edition of the missal with the introduction of the sign of the cross and greeting at the beginning of the service.

"And here’s how I interpret the meaning. The light of Christ is doing more than lighting candles. It’s actually lighting up the electricity as well. The single flame bursts into full light, and the paschal candle is praised as its source.

"Otherwise, you have to account for why the light of Christ didn’t quite eliminate all the darkness inside the church. And if you turn on the lights later, you have to explain why some other source of light suddenly took effect.

"The Vatican does not always follow its own rubrics, but this is precisely what happens at its Vigil. After the third “The Light of Christ,” all the electrical lights in the basilica come on."
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Thanks folks for clearing this up. Its a rubric I seem not to have spotted among all the others.
I really don't like Fr Turners attempt at a connection between the Paschal Candle and electric lights. Somewhat far-fetched. But thank you for looking it up.
So it starts. The only day I am not playing is Monday. Over 40 bits and pieces to play. Some years I feel I should have a camp bed in Church since I spend so much time there.
Good luck everyone. I hope all goes well.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Although in most things Paul Turner is good value, here I think he falls into the trap of trying to defend the indefensible. He might at least have criticised the completely gratuitous Sign of the Cross at the beginning of the Easter Vigil instead of using it to bolster his rather weak argument.