Easter Sequence

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

High Peak
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Nottingham

Easter Sequence

Post by High Peak »

Our PP has just requested that the Sequence is sung at the Easter Vigil, something I haven't ever done.
Does anyone have any suggestions, whether for cantor, small group and/or congregation?
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Re: Easter Sequence

Post by Nick Baty »

Where is your PP planning to add this item? After Romans 6, the priest (or cantor) intones the first Alleluias of Easter, with verses from Psalm 117 this also forms an extended Gospel procession. Not sure where the sequence could be squeezed in. Sure he's not talking about Easter Day?
High Peak
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Nottingham

Post by High Peak »

Nick Baty wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:19 pm Where is your PP planning to add this item? After Romans 6, the priest (or cantor) intones the first Alleluias of Easter, with verses from Psalm 117 this also forms an extended Gospel procession. Not sure where the sequence could be squeezed in. Sure he's not talking about Easter Day?
I don't have responsibility for Easter Sunday. So unless he made a mistake asking me.............

I was surprised, as I don't recall ever even hearing it at the Vigil.

I will check. Thanks.
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

Obligatory on Easter Sunday, optional on the 2nd Sunday, but never (afaik) at the Vigil.
John Ainslie

Post by John Ainslie »

Only ever on Easter Sunday, optional on 2nd Sunday.

Try G. R. Woodward's versification, with its rather jolly tune. You'll find it in the New English Hymnal at no 111. It's out of copyright (both words and tune), so if you twist my arm I'll copy it for you.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

John Ainslie wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:35 pm Only ever on Easter Sunday, optional on 2nd Sunday.

Try G. R. Woodward's versification, with its rather jolly tune. You'll find it in the New English Hymnal at no 111. It's out of copyright (both words and tune), so if you twist my arm I'll copy it for you.
It's available here
https://hymnary.org/hymn/NEH1985/111

We are singing it with a pair of cantors, a man and a woman to bring out the proto drama aspect of it. The versification in Laudate is pretty ugly IMHO (angels twain? Really, in 2022?) and having it sung to the tune of Christ the Lord is risen today really doesn't help matters.