The Great Awakening

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

oopsorganist

The Great Awakening

Post by oopsorganist »

Is anyone else awake?
uh oh!
oopsorganist

Re: The Great Awakening

Post by oopsorganist »

uh oh!
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

uh oh!
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Alas, this sort of thing is precisely why cases are spiralling out of control in the Paris region and elsewhere in France, and French hospitals are trying to operate ICUs at 150%+ of their normal maximum capacity.

A friend of mine in Paris recently emerged from over 8 weeks in intensive care, on a ventilator, in the course of which he almost died. You remember the story ("Papillon") of the guy who could only communicate via blinking one eye. Well, that happened to my friend.

His wife, herself a doctor, as well as caring for their young children, spent time each day with my friend and kept up a daily diary of what was happening to him/them, not least the bureaucratic hoops they had to jump through to get him into a rehabilitation centre, once he came off the ventilator. It makes for grim reading.

I have friends in other parts of France, and they say that the rebellious behaviour of certain groups is widespread and reprehensible.

I may sound like Jeremiah, but in my view we all need to behave responsibly and not just assume that the government is trying to control our lives, as the authors of this song clearly do. The government is actually trying to protect us from ourselves! And every time that a large group of people gathers, unmasked and without social distancing, they simply undo all the good that folk like us, who keep to the rules and guidelines, managed to achieve. I think we are justified in resenting their thoughtless, selfish behaviour.

Our own government doesn't really know what's going on. On the ground, people for months have simply been following their own rules, or keeping one stage ahead of where the guidance says we should be. If it wasn't for vaccination, we'd be in the middle of another wave right now. On my daily exercise, I see people flouting the rules all the time. They don't care about anyone except themselves. This pandemic has shown up just what a selfish society we have become.
High Peak
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Nottingham

Post by High Peak »

oopsorganist wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:40 pm https://youtu.be/SyBEMRyt6Qg
Nice tune.
Nice performance.
Stupid sentiment!
Those who selfishly and ignorantly disregard (temporary) restrictions are prolonging the pandemic and share in the respnsibility of countless, needless deaths.
Civil liberties and mental health are, of course, crucially important. But there are times in a nation's history when all must contribute to the national effort.
Anyone who hindered the war effort from 1939-45 would have been considered a traitor. Those who, through their selfish actions are hindering the fight against Covid 19 are little better.
I can only imagine that they have not witnessed the devastating impact that Covid can have on some members of our community and on the resources of the health service.
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

Anyone who hindered the war effort from 1939-45 would have been considered a traitor. Those who, through their selfish actions are hindering the fight against Covid 19 are little better.

Fair point.

Think about it.

Turn it round 180%.
uh oh!
quaeritor

Post by quaeritor »

Not sure what point you are making, Oops - but then I'm not sure what point you were making with the OP! - and far from sure what the liturgical connections or implications are - ?

Clearly I'm among the "anyone else" who are not awake.

Quaeritor
(Still seeking)
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

Ah well then. Not awake then. Fair enough.
Southern Comfort. I have thought about your friend and I hold them in my thoughts. Prayers that is. Christianity silenced.
Fear and anger - those that broke the rules. The Covidiots that broke the rules of Covidia! Blame those that mingled. But who live on...
Faucci has stated that the states in the US with the hardest lockdowns did badly because in such states er, well, people would disobey.
https://youtu.be/1q82twrdr0U?t=7
London, Saturday. To be sung.
uh oh!
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

Not sure what point you are making, Oops - but then I'm not sure what point you were making with the OP! - and far from sure what the liturgical connections or implications are - ?

Sorry. It was about the French Resistance or other objectors to the rise of tyrants. It was the war reference that triggered this.

As far as Liturgy is concerned, there has been a document sent to the government from various Christian leaders- not Catholics though - to protest the threats which our general faith is under.

You can find this document if you google " The Conservative Woman". There are many articles on this website of interest.
uh oh!
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

One sadness that grieves me. Is that we are forbidden to sing.
Alas for liturgy.
uh oh!
Dom Perignon
Parish / Diocese: SSG Moderator

Post by Dom Perignon »

I have let this run for a bit in the hope that it would lead to a discussion of liturgical matters. It's not really going that way at the moment. I have edited the thread a bit and will leave it running for a bit longer. If it does not move into matters liturgical reasonably soon I will close it off.
Forum Moderator
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

Hi Dom.
I guess this it one that offered challenges. But we did sing it a lot. Is it still relevant I wonder?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAdRk9c1R1o
uh oh!
Dom Perignon
Parish / Diocese: SSG Moderator

Post by Dom Perignon »

This topic has still not moved into a discussion about liturgy so I have edited it to remove further irrelevant posts and locked it.
Forum Moderator