SSG Spring Gathering Winchester 14th March 2020

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

helenbaggiani
Parish / Diocese: Tavistock / Plymouth

SSG Spring Gathering Winchester 14th March 2020

Post by helenbaggiani »

Can anyone provide more information on this event?
Only the date is on the website.
I've requested details via the "contact us" route, but not had a reply....
TIA
Southern Comfort

Re: SSG Spring Gathering Winchester 14th March 2020

Post by Southern Comfort »

Others have been wondering, too. It's only three weeks away now!
Southern Comfort

It's just gone up, on the Society's Facebook page. But many people are not on Facebook!
Southern Comfort

There's a 9:00am Mass at St Peter's so parking may be difficult. There are public car parks at hand, but once you go over 4 hours in the city centre car parks the charge jumps from £5.60 to £15.00...... St Peter's is a few minutes' walk from Winchester railway station.
Teresa OS
Parish / Diocese: High Barnet, Westminster Diocese

Post by Teresa OS »

Park and Ride looks possible at £3.00 for the day. Does anyone know how feasible this is?
Southern Comfort

Teresa OS wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:33 am Park and Ride looks possible at £3.00 for the day. Does anyone know how feasible this is?
Park and Ride is on the edge of the city. You'd need to allow time for the bus to negotiate its way to the centre through the Saturday shopping traffic.
Southern Comfort

The link to the Facebook page is broken on the website.

To see the announcement, go to https://www.facebook.com/pg/LITURGYANDMUSIC/posts/ and then when Facebook asks you to sign in or create an account to get rid of the banner that obscures the view of the graphic, say Not Now.

You may also be able to see it directly via https://www.facebook.com/LITURGYANDMUSI ... =3&theater
MaryR

Post by MaryR »

Apologies for the delay in this information getting onto the website. Here are the details, which have also been shared with parishes in the area:

When? Saturday, 14 March 2020 (10.30am – 4.30pm – registration from 10am)
Where? St Peter’s Church, Jewry Street, Winchester SO23 8RY
Speaker: Fr Paul Fitzpatrick, a priest of the Archdiocese of Birmingham and Lecturer in the New Testament at St Mary’s College, Oscott

Workshops:

• The God who speaks through song – we will look at how we use psalms at Mass and explore the treasure trove of scriptural songs,
with lots of singing! (Martin Barry)
• St Matthew’s Gospel and what it means for us today –This workshop will reflect on the words of St Matthew and its relevance for us in 2020 (Mgr Kevin McGinnell)
• Proclaiming the Word - a practical workshop for readers. Please come with a prepared reading – short or long, Old or New Testament (Mary Rouse)

Our day will begin with Morning Prayer at 10.30am followed by an introduction to the Bishops’ Conference initiative for a Year of the Word led by Fr Paul Fitzpatrick, and a talk on scripture in parish life. Fr Paul will also lead a second session, reflecting on some passages from St John’s Gospel, and taking a look at possible musical resources for use when these Gospels come up in the Sunday Cycle of readings. The afternoon will be taken up with workshops and the day will culminate with the celebration of Mass at 3.30pm.

The cost is £15 per person (a simple soup lunch will be provided). There are discounts for group parish bookings with one free place given for every four places booked. Assistance is also available for the unwaged. Booking requests may be made by emailing bookings@ssg.org.uk or me on 07540 532785 (please leave me a message if you reach my voicemail). If possible, places should be booked no later than 7 days before the event. Further information is also available by emailing bookings@ssg.org.uk. It will be really lovely to see old friends and meet new ones - you don't need to be a member.

PARKING - I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the venue. This was booked for us but I will find out what I can about availability of parking and post again here shortly.
Mary
blackthorn fairy
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Wellingborough Northamptonshire

Post by blackthorn fairy »

I'm not able to do this one, so I'm looking at Buckley and Burham on Sea. There are two Catholic churches in Burham on Sea: English Martyrs and St Andrew - which is it please?
Southern Comfort

blackthorn fairy wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:32 pm I'm not able to do this one, so I'm looking at Buckley and Burham on Sea. There are two Catholic churches in Burham on Sea: English Martyrs and St Andrew - which is it please?
St Andrew is not a Catholic church (C of E). I assume it's Our Lady and the English Martyrs in Burnham-on-Sea: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Our+L ... -2.9933389
Holy Cow
Parish / Diocese: Northampton

Post by Holy Cow »

https://www.ssg.org.uk/spring-gatherings-2020/

Spring Gatherings Page has been updated with online booking.
blackthorn fairy
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Wellingborough Northamptonshire

Post by blackthorn fairy »

Thanks Southern Comfort. It's a long way for me, but I might be able to manage it.
MaryR

Post by MaryR »

We’re very sorry to advise that, after very careful consideration, the trustees have decided to postpone Saturday’s event. Now that the WHO has declared a pandemic, it seems extremely likely that the Government will move the country to the ‘delay’ phase in the next day or two which will mean that such gatherings will be discouraged.

We are aware that some of our participants are likely to be in the higher risk category were they to catch the virus. We cannot vouch for the safety (in so far as anyone can) of the venue and we feel that it would be somewhat irresponsible of the Society to go ahead with an event that will potentially put people at risk when it can easily be postponed. We’re so sorry if we’ve inconvenienced people by such a late decision. Those who have already paid will be contacted individually so that we can arrange refunds.

We're hoping to rearrange this event for September or October and will post further news as soon as we can. Meanwhile, we hope that our remaining Spring Gatherings, in Buckley and Burnham-on-Sea, will be able to go ahead in May and we'll keep everyone advised.
Mary