New facebook Group

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

New facebook Group

Post by Hare »

I have it on good authority that a new Facebook group for UK Catholic organists, choirs and cantors was NOT set up to compete with this forum, but rather to give such musicians a presence/platform on Facebook. If anyone is interested, do consider joining... https://www.facebook.com/groups/2321504161435196/
Southern Comfort

Re: New facebook Group

Post by Southern Comfort »

This group began less than a month ago, set up by Andrew Butler of Tenterden, Kent. It does seem to have a slightly different flavour from the SSG forum. One reason for that could be that the group appears to include a significant proportion of organists who are not Catholic but who are playing in Catholic churches.
Hare

Post by Hare »

Absolutely - it was not intended to compete with this forum in any way. What SC said has turned out to be the case; I hope this cross fertilization will be useful all round. I also intended it to be primarily for Organists (and singers). There was an attempt some 20 years ago to start up a Catholic Organ Forum as an organisation, but it came to bought for some reason. (I have now blown my own cover! It was "Hare" who formed the group!)
alan29

Post by alan29 »

There seems to be something about the format of Facebook groups that encourages a speedier and more free-wheeling interaction.
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Posts and comments flash up on your phone/tablet and it's so easy to like, laugh or cry.
Also, there's no moderation – although I totally understand why the SSG moderates a message board bearing its logo.
Hare

Post by Hare »

On the contrary! Re Moderation, I monitor every post and have within the last couple of days removed a topic, turned off Commenting on another, and removed a member. Not all Facebook groups are moderated well, but a great many are - and very well.
Hare

Post by Hare »

(Duplicate post removed. Dratted phone!)
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Please be assured that Musicky Liturgy Things is not moderated at all!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/300911236958173/
Hare

Post by Hare »

Oops! I didn't know about "Musicky...."

I would have thought twice about creating a group had I known. I honestly thought I was filling a gap, not competing...!
Hare

Post by Hare »

Although as SC said, it seems to be catering for a particular niche.
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Yes, Musicky Liturgy Things is for workaday parish musicians and composers – as well as the person in the pew. It's just a place to share ideas and (hopefully) best practice. Not competing with this excellent message board or with Facebook groups for organists – am sure we can all co-exist! :D
Hare

Post by Hare »

Sounds good to me!
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Post by organist »

One person joined SSG as a result of the Facebook group. Maybe SSG needs a larger :D Facebook presence?
Hare

Post by Hare »

Indeed they did, and mentioned it in the group! The group seems to be fulfilling a need. There has never been any question of it competing with, or apeing this group!
Hare

Post by Hare »

Apologies for resurrecting an old topic. I know several members of this forum belong to the Facebook group mentioned.... I actually set up the group, but I wanted to let members know that I now no longer have Facebook access, following a very nasty hacking, so the group admin is now solely and safely in the hands of other admin. Thank you for the support and encouragement I received since 2019. Andrew.