Learning the organ

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

User avatar
mcb
Posts: 886
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:39 pm
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington
Contact:

Re: Learning the organ

Post by mcb » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:35 am

pdsfd wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:40 pm
I've heard the folksy version of it, but at both this church and at Salford we have sung it at a much slower pace, and it is better for it IMO.
Here's a nice version of it; the same arrangement (and about the same tempo, I think!) that we sang in Salford.

Southern Comfort
Posts: 1874
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:31 pm

Re: Learning the organ

Post by Southern Comfort » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:05 pm

mcb wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:35 am
pdsfd wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:40 pm
I've heard the folksy version of it, but at both this church and at Salford we have sung it at a much slower pace, and it is better for it IMO.
Here's a nice version of it; the same arrangement (and about the same tempo, I think!) that we sang in Salford.
Yes, this tempo is good. The versions I have heard have been only a few notches faster than this, but with heavy strumming instead of rippling keyboard. "Folksy" doesn't relate so much to tempo as to style in my original comment.

pdsfd
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:13 pm
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Re: Learning the organ

Post by pdsfd » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:27 pm

I'm having a go at learning to play the Gloria from the Psallite Mass, as I know it from the Cathedral and like it. (and on a separate point, looking at introducing it at my local parish church, to replace the Salazar setting we currently use.)

Can I ask if I am playing the right chords here, in reference to the music sheet in the links below please?

https://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/upl ... Part32.pdf
https://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/upl ... Part42.pdf
https://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/upl ... Part52.pdf

Glory to (right hand: E/G, left hand: lower C/middle C)
God in the (right hand: G/upper C, left hand: E, middle C)
highest (right hand: G/A, left hand: F, middle C)

and on earth peace to people (right hand: middle C/D/G, left hand: E)
of (right hand: middle C/E, left hand: A)
good (right hand: F)
will (right hand: B below middle C/D/G, left hand: G)

then

Lord Jesus Christ, only be - (right hand: middle C/E, left hand: C/G)
- got - (right hand: middle C, left hand: C/E)
- ten - (right hand: E, left hand: G)
- Son - (right hand: D/G, left hand: B/G)

Lord God, Lamb of God, Son of - (right hand: middle C/F, left hand: D/A)
- the - (right hand: middle C/G, left hand: D/F)
- Father - (right hand: B below middle C/D, left hand: G/G below middle C)

Sorry if this isn't clear and if I'm using the wrong terminology! Is the bass clef stave for this music supposed to be played on the manual or on the pedals?

It looked quite a straightforward thing to have a go at for a beginner, but I'm finding it difficult to keep the correct coordination with my fingers when the chords change! I'm improving slowly with practise...

Southern Comfort
Posts: 1874
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:31 pm

Re: Learning the organ

Post by Southern Comfort » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:34 pm

pdsfd wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:27 pm
I'm having a go at learning to play the Gloria from the Psallite Mass, as I know it from the Cathedral and like it. (and on a separate point, looking at introducing it at my local parish church, to replace the Salazar setting we currently use.)

Can I ask if I am playing the right chords here, in reference to the music sheet in the links below please?

https://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/upl ... Part32.pdf
https://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/upl ... Part42.pdf
https://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/upl ... Part52.pdf

Glory to (right hand: E/G, left hand: lower C/middle C)
God in the (right hand: G/upper C, left hand: E, middle C)
highest (right hand: G/A, left hand: F, middle C)

and on earth peace to people (right hand: middle C/D/G, left hand: E)
of (right hand: middle C/E, left hand: A)
good (right hand: F)
will (right hand: B below middle C/D/G, left hand: G)

then

Lord Jesus Christ, only be - (right hand: middle C/E, left hand: C/G)
- got - (right hand: middle C, left hand: C/E)
- ten - (right hand: E, left hand: G)
- Son - (right hand: D/G, left hand: B/G)

Lord God, Lamb of God, Son of - (right hand: middle C/F, left hand: D/A)
- the - (right hand: middle C/G, left hand: D/F)
- Father - (right hand: B below middle C/D, left hand: G/G below middle C)

Sorry if this isn't clear and if I'm using the wrong terminology! Is the bass clef stave for this music supposed to be played on the manual or on the pedals?

It looked quite a straightforward thing to have a go at for a beginner, but I'm finding it difficult to keep the correct coordination with my fingers when the chords change! I'm improving slowly with practise...
This all looks fine except for the "ten" of "begotten" where the right hand should be C/E and the left hand should be C/G.

Where you have repeated notes, you can tie them together. That will help where the chords change quickly.

As a general rule, the bass stave is better played on the manuals in this kind of chanted music, but you could add pedals (e.g. for the section "For you alone are the Holy One") when you are more confident and proficient with the music.

pdsfd
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:13 pm
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Re: Learning the organ

Post by pdsfd » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:36 pm

Southern Comfort wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:34 pm
pdsfd wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:27 pm
I'm having a go at learning to play the Gloria from the Psallite Mass, as I know it from the Cathedral and like it. (and on a separate point, looking at introducing it at my local parish church, to replace the Salazar setting we currently use.)

Can I ask if I am playing the right chords here, in reference to the music sheet in the links below please?

https://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/upl ... Part32.pdf
https://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/upl ... Part42.pdf
https://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/upl ... Part52.pdf

Glory to (right hand: E/G, left hand: lower C/middle C)
God in the (right hand: G/upper C, left hand: E, middle C)
highest (right hand: G/A, left hand: F, middle C)

and on earth peace to people (right hand: middle C/D/G, left hand: E)
of (right hand: middle C/E, left hand: A)
good (right hand: F)
will (right hand: B below middle C/D/G, left hand: G)

then

Lord Jesus Christ, only be - (right hand: middle C/E, left hand: C/G)
- got - (right hand: middle C, left hand: C/E)
- ten - (right hand: E, left hand: G)
- Son - (right hand: D/G, left hand: B/G)

Lord God, Lamb of God, Son of - (right hand: middle C/F, left hand: D/A)
- the - (right hand: middle C/G, left hand: D/F)
- Father - (right hand: B below middle C/D, left hand: G/G below middle C)

Sorry if this isn't clear and if I'm using the wrong terminology! Is the bass clef stave for this music supposed to be played on the manual or on the pedals?

It looked quite a straightforward thing to have a go at for a beginner, but I'm finding it difficult to keep the correct coordination with my fingers when the chords change! I'm improving slowly with practise...
This all looks fine except for the "ten" of "begotten" where the right hand should be C/E and the left hand should be C/G.

Where you have repeated notes, you can tie them together. That will help where the chords change quickly.

As a general rule, the bass stave is better played on the manuals in this kind of chanted music, but you could add pedals (e.g. for the section "For you alone are the Holy One") when you are more confident and proficient with the music.
Thank you. It does sound good when the organist plays the final section with a bit of gusto; and I like the way the music really emphasizes the words in this setting. I find the Salazar setting is the opposite in this respect.

With the middle section, we sing the first line by dropping pitch for the - got - in begotten and it seems to emphasise the word. For the subsequent 'top' lines (ie. - You take away the sins of the world -, - You are seated etc - ), we keep the same pitch until going up for the final word.

Post Reply