And breathe......

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

oopsorganist

And breathe......

Post by oopsorganist »

Oo, I went to a lovely Mass this morning, but in every hymn the group leapt into the next verse without pause - apparently they have one person that does not sing the last line and so can have enough air to sing the first line of the next verse.
At least,it was one voice that started each and every the subsequent verses, to be joined by their friends in a later bar....
uh oh!
alan29

Re: And breathe......

Post by alan29 »

There are weather presenters who do that.
They take a breath in the middle of a sentence so they can rush straight through full stops. Once you notice it, it is very irritating.
Almost as bad as readers who emphasise the prepositions in sentences - "Jesus went TO Jerusalem and said TO his disciples ........
PhloridaPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence, Diocese of St Petersburg

Post by PhloridaPhil »

I have the same irritation with the preface dialogues and a rude interruption by the celebrant of the people’s response. We rarely interrupt them (much as we might like to!)
alan29

Post by alan29 »

PhloridaPhil wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:07 pm I have the same irritation with the preface dialogues and a rude interruption by the celebrant of the people’s response. We rarely interrupt them (much as we might like to!)
We have a bishop who never ever lets the final note of a song die before leaping in with what he has to say. Just plain bad manners in my book.
High Peak
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Nottingham

Post by High Peak »

alan29 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:23 am We have a bishop who never ever lets the final note of a song die before leaping in with what he has to say. Just plain bad manners in my book.
And makes everything unnecessarily rushed, detracting from the dignity of the celebration.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

alan29 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:23 amWe have a bishop who never ever lets the final note of a song die before leaping in with what he has to say. Just plain bad manners in my book.
It's because he thinks it's all about him, presumably. :(
alan29

Post by alan29 »

He's an odd one. He issues pastoral letters about adoring the eucharist, and I heard him preach that we came to Mass to adore the eucharist in the tabernacle (highly questionable theology) yet he doesnt give the liturgy time to breathe.
Maybe he sees music as a distraction.