Readers

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Readers

Post by organist »

We get the same reader every day - how to get somebody else? One morning she started reading the Gospel. Priest dashed across to stop her. She does not check the printed congregational sheet which can differ from the Missal they are using which I suspect is an old edition as it often does not match Universalis. When she is not there the server leaps in and reads like it is the most boring minutes of the most boring meeting you have ever been to. Surely she cannot do two ministries at the same Mass? Grrr! :(
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Re: Readers

Post by VML »

This was once a fact in our parish, - in those days in the 70s and early 80s when we had three Masses and readers were a novelty, our PP had found one reader for each Mass and I don't think anyone else got a look in until that PP left. This was Sundays, as I was not able to go to daily Mass then, but, organist, your location is given as a big place in the capital. Is that where this is happening? I know it is hard to get rid.... sorry persuade... someone that they may be hogging things. And I truly hope someone will tell me when I am past it, but we do at least have at least five voices over a week for daily Mass. Are there many people at each Mass. Can you offer to read, or, as organist are you seen to be in a different ministry? I don't read on Sundays as I often sing the psalm and play organ and guitar. But weekdays I fill in if necessary. And I usually lead the chant Alleluia during the week, though I hope this does not become a 'she always does it' situation!
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Re: Readers

Post by organist »

Dear VML, the parish where I attend daily Mass is in a neighbouring suburb so it is not the cathedral. I know both priests but I am not inclined to volunteer as it would mean getting there earlier! Traffic and parking can be tricky. I would not mind if the reader and server gave notice of their absences and I could plan to be early. :D I did play the Easter Vigil there twice - very dull only 3 hymns and offers to do the psalms were rejected!