Portland

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Portland

Post by organist »

Hurrah for the Archbishop of Portland for producing a practical document on liturgical music. Drums and electric guitars are out! I was interested to see that an hour of liturgy needs 2 hours of preparation. What I did not see was any mention of payment and provision for training musicians. :D
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Re: Portland

Post by VML »

Yes, an excellent article. Interesting that Paul Wellicome in M&L was definite in saying that a classical guitar is not suitable for liturgical use, only steel string acoustic. I think a classical guitar is more dignified, if the church shape and acoustic can make it usable.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

I think we should leave the Americans to their own culture wars, and just try to encourage what is best and most appropriate in our own communities.
I read the stuff that emanates from the USA RC forums etc and feel sorrow for their bitter divisions.
My only comment on that document is that any bishop who wants to prescribe the style of music that parishes can use should be prepared to put his money where his mouth is and fund the training required to meet his wishes.
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

I am less concerned with style than I am with practice. I know a few places with wonderful choirs who sing delicious polyphony – but leave the assembly silent throughout the Eucharistic Prayer. Of course, I have my own preferences but as long as folk are getting it right, then whichever style suits the community is the right choice.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Nick Baty wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:30 pm I am less concerned with style than I am with practice. I know a few places with wonderful choirs who sing delicious polyphony – but leave the assembly silent throughout the Eucharistic Prayer. Of course, I have my own preferences but as long as folk are getting it right, then whichever style suits the community is the right choice.
Totally agree. I would much rather have a three chord guitar hymn done well, than a bit of "choir" music murdered by poor tuning, phrasing and balance.