Director of Music, St George's Cathedral Southwark

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

JW

Director of Music, St George's Cathedral Southwark

Post by JW »

Norman Harper is to retire at the end of the year and St George's are advertising for a new Director of Music. Here is a link to the advert:

http://www.stgeorgescathedral.org.uk/mu ... music.html

I'm no expert but the remuneration seems very low for the type of musician they seem to want to attract? Musicians who have studied and worked for many years, who already hold a senior role in church music, would presumably expect more than that?
JW
Southern Comfort

Re: Director of Music, St George's Cathedral Southwark

Post by Southern Comfort »

JW wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:54 pm Norman Harper is to retire at the end of the year and St George's are advertising for a new Director of Music. Here is a link to the advert:

http://www.stgeorgescathedral.org.uk/mu ... music.html

I'm no expert but the remuneration seems very low for the type of musician they seem to want to attract? Musicians who have studied and worked for many years, who already hold a senior role in church music, would presumably expect more than that?
Yes, it's pretty low, and the expected working hours are, of course, unrealistic for a position like this. I suspect one reason why the budget is tight is that St George's now has nine professional lay clerks — nine additional stipends that in former times were not paid as the cathedral had no paid choirmen back in the day. Norman is a retired schoolteacher and so has been able to hold the position without requiring a living wage. I suspect the cathedral may be hoping for a young (and therefore inexperienced but enthusiastic) recent graduate who will not need as much money as others might and could combine the post with teaching, etc.

The problem is, if you pay peanuts, you often get monkeys. Also, the cost of living in London is higher than anywhere else in the country.
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

That is a lot of Lay Clerks .
They get around £63.00 a service. That's not bad.
uh oh!
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Post by organist »

Norman has done wonders following on from Nick Gale. :D let us hope the right person is prepared to come.
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

I'm told the new appointee is Jonathan Schranz. Looks to me like a very strong appointment, and I wish him well.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Looks like an excellent appointment!