Canon Gerald Coates RIP

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

MaryR

Canon Gerald Coates RIP

Post by MaryR »

For those who haven't heard, I am very sorry to announce the death of Fr Gerry Coates.

A priest of the Diocese of Arundel and Brighton, Gerry attended Summer School for many years and regulars will remember him well for his humour and great joie de vivre. Gerry was a long-time member of the Society and great supporter of its aims. He had been poorly for some years and died peacefully in the early morning of Tuesday 10th October in Holy Cross Care Home, Cross in Hand, Heathfield, East Sussex.

His funeral arrangements are as follows:

Reception of the Body and Vespers at Arundel Cathedral on Monday 6th November, at 5.00pm

Funeral Mass at Arundel Cathedral on Tuesday 7th November at 12.00 midday, followed by a Buffet Reception in the Cathedral Hall.

Burial will take place the following day with family members in attendance.

May he rest in peace
Mary
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Re: Canon Gerald Coates RIP

Post by organist »

It was a beautiful Mass with Bishop Richard, lots of priests, family and friends. Wonderful music. Catherine Christmas was cantor/animator and she sang her own psalm setting so prayerfully and beautifully I was very much moved. Bob Hurd's As the deer at communion was the perfect choice and brought back many memories of family Masses. Great homily from the Canon Provost and some great stories about Gerry. Arriving in battered car he said darkly "Safeways... bollards". Handel Let the bright seraphim at the end was great but why do people who talk through the music then applaud enthusiastically? Some people really do treat great music as background muzak in church. One criticism was the meandering organ playing beforehand - far better to play pieces and voluntaries. Guide me O thou great redeemer, plainchant and Gathering Mass and Thine be the glory enthusiastically sung. Lovely reception and the parking at Arundel castle was very well organised! All in all so glad we went and good to see SSG members there. :D A great and good priest.
Southern Comfort

Re: Canon Gerald Coates RIP

Post by Southern Comfort »

I am told that the "meandering organ music" beforehand was in fact a selection of chorale preludes from Karg-Elert's Op. 65 up to the starting time, followed by "filler" because the clergy procession was five minutes late....

It was good to see John Ainslie and others representing the SSG.