Gloria settings

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

blackthorn fairy
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Wellingborough Northamptonshire

Gloria settings

Post by blackthorn fairy »

I know we've talked about settings of the Gloria in the past, but I have just been asked by an Anglican colleague if I could recommend a v simple sung Gloria for a small congregation with no choir - with the new words (i.e. to people of good will etc). They have a leader but I'm not sure if she sings or plays (or both). They already have one setting but would like something a bit more jolly. Any ideas?
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Re: Gloria settings

Post by VML »

Our parish likes Nick Baty's Eldonian Gloria, and we use St Paul the Apostle Mass, by Chris Walker, and for simplicity, Belmont. Mike Stanley's Mass of St Bernadette is another, but it starts on top D which is not always helpful.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

The problem with Walker's Belmont Gloria is that its chant alternates two tones without regard for the structure of the text.

For a better setting in that respect, see the Psallite Mass "At the Table of the Lord" from Liturgical Press, certainly more jolly if you do it with brio! (Currently still available from Magnificat Music, though not for much longer, By the end of the year, Norwich Books and Music will be the go-to place for all our liturgical music needs: OCP. GIA, WLP, LitPress, Decani Music......)
Becky
Parish / Diocese: Arundel and Brighton

Post by Becky »

We're looking for a new one for the autumn too. We have Schutte Mass of Christ the Saviour and the Lourdes but need another, something that fits better for Christmas, Easter and other big occasions.

Psallite is sometimes used for weekday solemnities but not Sundays. We've looked at the ones in the revised Laudate and Nick Baty's Warrington (as we use the Eucharistic acclamations from that setting) but haven't found quite what we're looking for yet. It's a puzzle.
blackthorn fairy

Thanks everyone for these suggestions. the Belmont Gloria is the one that they already know (and would like something a little livelier). I don't know it, so can't comment. I've also suggested refrain settings, which might suit them. They've got an organist and a lead singer, so they could do one of those.
High Peak
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Nottingham

Post by High Peak »

I don't like to blow my own trumpet - because it's not a very impressive one - but both my Glorias are on the lively side. The first, from the High Peak Mass, is a responsorial setting. The second, from the Mass of St Philip Howard, has two versions - a responsorial setting and a through-setting; when we first introduced it we used the response version, with a cantor signing the verses, and introduced the through-version after a few weeks. If you PM me your email address I can send you the music and very rough recordings to give you an idea.
High Peak

Post by High Peak »

Southern Comfort wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:33 pm The problem with Walker's Belmont Gloria is that its chant alternates two tones without regard for the structure of the text.
We use the Belmont Mass and I do like it. But your evaluation of the Gloria is very fair.
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Becky wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:04 pm We're looking for....something that fits better for Christmas, Easter and other big occasions. We've looked at...Nick Baty's Warrington (as we use the Eucharistic acclamations from that setting)
I'll probably be censured for this, but you might like to try Gloria Santa Klaus from the same stable. http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/glo ... c/20256075
with optional instrumental parts http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/glo ... c/20248459
Last edited by Nick Baty on Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

If anyone fancies trying out a new Gloria, PM me for a freebie. This one's not officially out until September.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dmu3tem

Post by dmu3tem »

At the Anglican Church in Gisburn they do a metrical setting of the Gloria with paraphrase words by myself (follows the main text quite closely). It is sung to Tallis' Canon; so it is very practical as nothing new in the way of music needs to be learnt and it can be sung unison, or with 4 part hamrony (or even in 2-4 part canon of course). If you want me to send you a copy of the text just contact me via the private messaging system here leaving me a postal address (not e.mail please)

Thomas
T.E.Muir
blackthorn fairy

Thanks High Peak for that offer! Only one problem - how do I send you a PM? I've never done this before.
keitha

Post by keitha »

Don't forget that in the RC Church in England & Wales only the authorised translation can be used and it can't be paraphrased! I won't comment on what I think of that translation!
Keith Ainsworth
High Peak

Post by High Peak »

blackthorn fairy wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:44 pm Thanks High Peak for that offer! Only one problem - how do I send you a PM? I've never done this before.
I have sent you a PM. Look for notifications at the top of the screen.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Beware sharing settings of copyright texts unless you have clearance from ICEL and one of those certificates from the bishops.