First communion music

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

alan29

Re: First communion music

Post by alan29 »

Worse than a rite of passage. It has become the excuse for competitive display and consumption.
I would happily see it fall into disuse.
nazard
Parish / Diocese: Clifton

Post by nazard »

We could easily get bitter about such things, but its just the way of things. Remember the parable of the sower. You have to spread a lot of seed to get a crop, and it doesn't all work out. Just keep on sowing and rejoice when you achieve anything.
High Peak
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Nottingham

Post by High Peak »

Since this thread has touched on behaviour as well as music at FHC Mass, this article may be of interest.................

http://catholic-link.org/2016/06/05/10- ... ign=buffer
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

Ho hum
Love the what to wear guide.
This is the outfit I have chosen
http://pin.it/B_gf48h

Don't know why there were no links for male fashion examplars though.
uh oh!
alan29

Post by alan29 »

I note the guide says that only priests can bless.
I wonder if anyone has passed that bit of information on to the Almighty.
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

I thought Eucharistic Ministers could bless? Otherwise it gets awkward.
Leeds is changing the structure of Preparation for FHC and Confirmation. To facilitate the parents to prepare the children. I think something like this was done in around 1989 - I do remember going to a meeting at church and being told parents were going to be part of the preparation in conjunction with the parish but I can't remember anything about it.
It does sound like a better idea - how it will impact on the Liturgy, I don't know.
I was contemplating this during the sermon, the impact on Liturgy of school masses - where the children get to lead readings, psalms, prayers... at one time it just seemed nice and a breath of fresh air and of course, if it is done it church, it must be right, yes?
But now it jars so. It almost trivialises parts of the Liturgy and this at occasions when non Catholics and others are present - these should be very helpful and I suppose even evangelical occasions. I think it would be great if the parents and teachers of the FHC children were able to lead some parts of the Liturgy. That would make a lot more sense.
uh oh!
Keraulophon
Parish / Diocese: Southwark - Kent

Post by Keraulophon »

Deacons can legimately impart certain blessings; Eucharistic MInisters cannot. They can however, like any Christian, request God to look with favour upon people.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

We've had this discussion before.

No one can bless, not even priests. Only God can bless, which is why a priest says "May Almighty God bless you" and not "I bless you". All we humans can do is invoke God's blessing on others — people, things, places....

So — who may invoke God's blessing on others? Anyone. Parents bless their children, we say "Bless you" when someone sneezes.... Traditionally, some blessings are reserved to ordained clergy. Generally these are accompanied by a sign of the cross. Others blessings can be invoked by lay people, including Ministers of Communion (but not making a sign of the cross).

I have said before in this forum that when one of my priest friends is asked "Please, Father, will you bless my rosary?" he always says "No!" But after a pause adds "But I'll ask God to." That's the kind of theology we should be following.
Keraulophon
Parish / Diocese: Southwark - Kent

Post by Keraulophon »

Yes, of course, the Catechism of the Church is clear about this. "[1669] Sacramentals derive from the baptismal priesthood: every baptized person is called to be a "blessing," and to bless. Hence lay people may preside at certain blessings; the more a blessing concerns ecclesial and sacramental life, the more is its administration reserved to the ordained ministry (bishops, priests, or deacons)."

I should have made it clear that I was referring to the (implied) situation of Extraordinary Ministers imparting a formal blessing whilst carrying out their duty. (Sorry to drift off subject, but First Communion Masses are one of the occasions when extra numbers present themselves for blessings when Communion is distributed - whether accompanied by music or not.)
alan29

Post by alan29 »

I wonder how many parishes it happens in. It certainly happens in mine.
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

There is a whole little corner of awkwardness here ..... to the background of course, of some very well executed and thoughfully chosen music of both kinds.
I was thinking about the role of Extraordinary Ministers and the FHC celebrations. And that fact that while the children will receive from the priest, other people can choose to receive from the priest or from an Extraordinary Minister who might also be a woman. And that for the rest of the child's life they will be able to make that choice and at this time and place, will often be able to choose to receive from a woman Extraordinary Minister. Or Eucharistic Minister as they are commonly called. Which is wrong as they are so very extraordinary - as I found while googling Canon Law. It was "Easy Cannon Law" website of course. It's not something I usually give a great deal of thought to. Unless my mind is wandering.

I wonder how it could be explained to a visitor this difficult thing we have now, where we do have Extraordinary people and for much of a Catholic's life communion can be given by a woman - if the communicant so chooses to queue........but have no right to do so, just an extraordinary situation. Thus the discussion around the correct approach to blessing those requesting blessing, really palls into insignificance, if we consider the tenous position of the Extras.

But it would seem that Lectors, those who read, have a more official role and one which is more clearly defined and secure. And yet, we give that role of Lector to little children at the drop of a hat.
Funny old thing.
uh oh!