Christmas on TV and radio

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Christmas on TV and radio

Post by organist »

Outstanding this year Midnight Mass from St Chad's cathedral Birmingham with Archbishop Bernard singing beautifully and giving a fine homily. The choir were excellent even managing Darke In the bleak midwinter unaccompanied! I recall the choir in the organ loft at St Chad's but their position meant that David Saint could conduct the assembly effectively. And the congregation sang! The cathedral itself looked splendid although it did not look as big as I recall! Shame on the BBC for cutting the organ voluntary at the end. King's was as good as ever. Disappointed by Angela Tilby on the Angel of the North on radio 4 Christmas Day but Gareth Malone's Desert island discs on the way home from church more than made up for it. At Westminster cathedral we had a stunning Buxtehude Magnificat at first vespers and a group of ex-choristers singing well at 6 p.m. Mass. I do think Latin vespers does need something more for all to sing like a well-known carol. Victoria O magnum mysterium well sung at Westminster and Birnmingham. Still think the Laurendson is better! :D Happy Christmas everyone
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Re: Christmas on TV and radio

Post by Gwyn »

Indeedy-doody. St Chad's was a delight; Credo iii would have topped it off nicely. Never mind though, liturgically and musically stunning.
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Post by organist »

The Westminster Abbey midnight mass felt more like a concert despite an excellent sermon from the Dean. The gospel was unclear and echoey. I did not like the carol before the sermon described by the BBC as the gospel acclamation which it wasn't! I know the triple plainchant Alleluia is becoming universal but it would have been great to have something more celebratory! :D
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

organist wrote:even managing Darke In the bleak midwinter unaccompanied!

It was Holst! :)
MARYFA
Parish / Diocese: DIOCESE of LEEDS

Post by MARYFA »

I agree with what has been said about Birmingham, especially about the Archbishop's singing. I thought the Mass Setting was a poor choice (did they omit the Benedictus?). I was also sorry they did not include what for me are the two
markers of Catholicity at Christmas: Adeste Fideles (arr. V. Novello) and Come to the Manger (Gatty.)
The cathedral, which I do not know at all, looked beautiful and the Choir sang superbly.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

MARYFA wrote:I agree with what has been said about Birmingham, especially about the Archbishop's singing. I thought the Mass Setting was a poor choice (did they omit the Benedictus?). I was also sorry they did not include what for me are the two
markers of Catholicity at Christmas: Adeste Fideles (arr. V. Novello) and Come to the Manger (Gatty.)

The cathedral, which I do not know at all, looked beautiful and the Choir sang superbly.

In that case we failed too, but in illustrious company.
MARYFA
Parish / Diocese: DIOCESE of LEEDS

Post by MARYFA »

So sad.
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Post by Hare »

MARYFA wrote:So sad.

Not IMHO! We had a PP once who insisted on "Come to the manger" He was only here for a year thankfully!
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Indeed. A dreadful ditty, I've only ever had to endure it once. Deo Graatias.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Gwyn wrote:Indeed. A dreadful ditty, I've only ever had to endure it once. Deo Graatias.

I was brought up with Come to the manger, and don't think it's quite as bad as all that! Gatty was not the most wonderful of composers, admittedly, but Sidney Peirce Waddington's arrangement makes it a whole lot better, IMO. In particular, that first drop from the tonic to the supertonic 7th 2nd inversion is a masterstroke, and ought to be in every RC musician's music theory primer as an example of how to bring life to a tune with a little harmonic imagination.
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Post by Hare »

Southern Comfort wrote:
Gwyn wrote:Indeed. A dreadful ditty, I've only ever had to endure it once. Deo Graatias.

I was brought up with Come to the manger, and don't think it's quite as bad as all that! Gatty was not the most wonderful of composers, admittedly, but Sidney Peirce Waddington's arrangement makes it a whole lot better, IMO. In particular, that first drop from the tonic to the supertonic 7th 2nd inversion is a masterstroke, and ought to be in every RC musician's music theory primer as an example of how to bring life to a tune with a little harmonic imagination.

I never knew it was by Gatty - I thought it was "Traditional"