Choral Director Post

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Diocese of Leeds
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Leeds

Choral Director Post

Post by Diocese of Leeds »

DIOCESE OF LEEDS MUSIC DEPARTMENT

The Diocese of Leeds seeks to appoint a Choral Director to work in our acclaimed Singing Programme from January 2017. This is a new post in an expanding programme which currently reaches 3000 children weekly across the Diocese.

Starting salary £21,750 with the pay scale rising to £27,000

An application pack with further information is available from:

http://www.dioceseofleedsmusic.org.uk

The position is suitable for an ambitious and creative musician with exceptional gifts in working with young voices and a desire to achieve the highest possible standards within an internationally recognised choral programme.

The Diocese of Leeds has the largest church programme of choral music for young people in the United Kingdom, maintaining some 55 choirs comprising nearly 3000 children meeting weekly. There are over 40 school choirs, six boys' choirs, six girls' choirs, a choir school and a semi-professional adult choir. There are two main elements to the system: auditioned choirs for boys and girls and the Diocesan Schools Singing Programme. These two areas of work are complementary and the musical and educational rewards flow into the schools and the liturgical life of the Diocese.

The Music Department consists of the Diocesan Director of Music, the Director of the Schools Singing Programme, the Director of the Choir School, the Cathedral Organist and Director of the Organists Training Programme, three full-time Choral Directors, the Department Administrator, two Organ Scholars and a Choral Conducting Scholar..The Schools Singing Programme is a substantial and ambitious project, begun in 2003 in Bradford and now reaches across the Diocese. Our Choral Directors provide inspirational and demanding choral provision to the schools and auditioned choirs, achieving extremely high standards.

Closing date for applications: Friday 7th October.
nazard
Parish / Diocese: Clifton

Re: Choral Director Post

Post by nazard »

With that salary I'm glad I studied engineering.
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

Whichever way you look at it, that is 9 paid staff in the Music Department. That'll be quite a big salary bill all told. Luckily it flows into the schools and washes into the parishes. (Washing away organists in the process :twisted: )
It'll maybe suit someone who enjoys the Latin.
uh oh!
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

nazard wrote:With that salary I'm glad I studied engineering.

From thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk: Graduate starting salary for Electrical & Electronic Engineering: £22,014

And forgive my grouchiness, but every time the Leeds music department post a job vacancy here the response is the same.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

mcb wrote:And forgive my grouchiness, but every time the Leeds music department post a job vacancy here the response is the same.

Could that be because the same problems to b*tch about are evident every time? :D
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Oh, and something that does need looking at: in the Job Description, there is no mention of a CRB check or Safeguarding.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

The money is what it is.
However I applaud the opportunities the programme gives to young people to experience quality music making.
And I doff my cap to this sort of sly evangelisation - putting all sorts of people in positive contact with the church that so often gets a bad press.
Diocese of Leeds

Post by Diocese of Leeds »

Many thanks for your interest in the new Choral Director post.

The information pack (available through the link to our website) contains the relevant safeguarding information in the formal job description and person specification.

For more information about the Singing Programme please do visit our website or facebook page. You may also be interested in the short feature Songs of Praise produced recently - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03t9t80

If you have any further queries please don't hesitate to contact me at the Music Office.

Charlotte Harrison, Administrator.
High Peak
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Nottingham

Post by High Peak »

Maybe they are funding it through the closure and selling of the Catholic Chaplaincy for the Students of the University of Bradford.
Shameful!!
It was there that my liturgical sensibilities were first triggered.
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

I think the funding is already there - from the local education authority, lottery and such like, and the other monies that a diocese may or may not have.
And I don't think it is an extension of provision just a continuation ie someone has left.
But that is irrelevant.
MCB is right this is not the place to be critical of the department because as Jack Sparrow says in "Pirates of the Caribbean" , "They done what's right for them". (Arghh) (And I know I am the worst poster for sniping).
The department is using the society appropriately in advertising posts in accordance with set policies, procedures da de da.
And if Leeds is creating a rich repertoire of choral music and young choral singers within the Catholic schools communities, then good for them. That is what they set out to do. The flowing out I might like to question but not on this thread so maybe we need a thread along the lines of "What is the role of a diocese in the provision and development of Liturgy and how is this put into practice." Or something a bit more punchy along those lines.

And then maybe Leeds can help towards the debate in such matters in a useful way and we can have a discussion. Everybody needs a critical friend.
Apologies from me :cry: for being snarty.
:roll:
uh oh!
IncenseTom

Post by IncenseTom »

High Peak wrote:Maybe they are funding it through the closure and selling of the Catholic Chaplaincy for the Students of the University of Bradford.
Shameful!!

As far as I'm aware, the Catholic Chaplaincy for Bradford University still exists, it's now just based at St Joseph's Church which is quite central in Bradford.
High Peak
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Nottingham

Post by High Peak »

IncenseTom wrote:
High Peak wrote:Maybe they are funding it through the closure and selling of the Catholic Chaplaincy for the Students of the University of Bradford.
Shameful!!

As far as I'm aware, the Catholic Chaplaincy for Bradford University still exists, it's now just based at St Joseph's Church which is quite central in Bradford.

Er......no it's not. Ashgrove, which is being sold, is right across the road from the academic buildings, halls of residence, etc. It was a visual statement of the presence of the Church around what is a very secular institution. It was high-profile and very convenient. It was frequented by Catholics AND non-Catholics. Staff and students would cross the road for lunchtime Mass, quiet prayer in the chapel, a cup of coffee, pint of Guinness, etc.

St Joseph's is up the Manchester Road, I would guess well-over a mile away. It is out of sight and out of mind. Staff and students will not frequent it or pop over for some quiet prayer-time in the chapel. You are dealing with a demographic whose bond with the Church can be tenuous - and Leeds Diocese has, to all effect, cut the chord.

Shameful!!
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

St Joseph's features in the news on the diocese website just now.
uh oh!
IncenseTom

Post by IncenseTom »

High Peak wrote:Er......no it's not. Ashgrove, which is being sold, is right across the road from the academic buildings, halls of residence, etc. It was a visual statement of the presence of the Church around what is a very secular institution. It was high-profile and very convenient. It was frequented by Catholics AND non-Catholics. Staff and students would cross the road for lunchtime Mass, quiet prayer in the chapel, a cup of coffee, pint of Guinness, etc.

St Joseph's is up the Manchester Road, I would guess well-over a mile away. It is out of sight and out of mind. Staff and students will not frequent it or pop over for some quiet prayer-time in the chapel. You are dealing with a demographic whose bond with the Church can be tenuous - and Leeds Diocese has, to all effect, cut the chord.

Shameful!!

So, we agree that the chaplaincy still exists?
St. Joseph's may be up Manchester Road but it is the most central Catholic church in Bradford.

With fewer priests facing increasing responsibilities under greater financial pressure is it any wonder the Bishop made the decision to move the Chaplaincy to the church?

It's all too easy to make a post about how shameful it is. It's rather less easy to be a Bishop making these decisions.
IncenseTom

Post by IncenseTom »

Just in case anyone still thinks the Bradford Chaplaincy has been abolished here's the list of Clergy moves for 2016 for Leeds with a paragraph about Bradford University:

http://www.dioceseofleeds.org.uk/assets ... -1--1-.pdf