Cardinal Sarah

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

helen rees
Parish / Diocese: southwark

Cardinal Sarah

Post by helen rees »

Cardinal Sarah asks priests to start celebrating Mass facing east this Advent!!! Is this really going to happen. Why ? :(

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/20 ... ign=buffer
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Re: Cardinal Sarah

Post by mcb »

I think he's asking in a personal capacity, rather than giving orders; I don't believe he has the authority to do the latter. The Catholic Herald is spinning it by using the verb ask, as if it was a courteous instruction from on high, but not so long ago he was urging, which, in spite of the seemingly stronger sense of the verb, puts it into proper perspective as a personal campaign.

I'd predict that Reform-of-the-Reform aficionados will comply; most will already have done so, others will be emboldened to do so. But I imagine the vast majority of priests will give the request the due consideration it merits, and then act according to their own understanding and inclination. :wink:
Last edited by mcb on Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Lost for words.
Someone give that man a job in a favella somewhere to gain a sense of proportion.
MARYFA
Parish / Diocese: DIOCESE of LEEDS

Post by MARYFA »

Is this supposed to be a reasoned contribution to discussion? What have South American slums to do with anything,
especially in connection with a Cardinal from Africa?

N. B. favela not favella.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

MARYFA wrote:Is this supposed to be a reasoned contribution to discussion? What have South American slums to do with anything,
especially in connection with a Cardinal from Africa?

N. B. favela not favella.

Merely suggesting a prolonged period of pastoral work away from the rarified gilded palaces the cardinal frequents might just add beadth to his understanding of eucharistic celebration. You know, "smell of the sheep" as his boss put it.
Thank you for the correction. I will write it out 100 times for homework.
Casimir
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Ilium

Post by Casimir »

Moderator's note: I've deleted a very lengthy (>3500 words) post which mainly consisted of a verbatim reproduction in two languages of Cardinal Sarah's recent remarks. Please link to long sources rather than reproducing them here. I've invited the contributor to resubmit his/her post in more digestible form. Let's keep the discussion both amicable and on topic please. Thanks!
alan29

Post by alan29 »

The thing is, the reasons pro and ante have been rehearsed over and again. Neither has a trump card. In the end people go one way or another as a personal preference and then root around to find justifications.
JW

Post by JW »

What the Cardinal doesn't understand is that he lives in a bastion. People vote with their feet nowadays. Obedience to clerics is disappearing fast, the attempt to abolish the Hail Mary during Bidding Prayers and the attempt to reinstate Friday abstinence being recent examples. When will the penny drop that power is shifting?
JW
IncenseTom
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Leeds

Post by IncenseTom »

My understanding of this is that Cardinal Sarah is saying the normal way of celebrating Mass has always been (and continues to be) ad orientem and that Mass versus populum is a permissible option.

It isn't necessary to encourage/ ask/ recommend, etc priests to celebrate ad orientem because that's "the norm" (although clearly not in practise)

I see it as a reminder of what is "the norm" and what is "a legitimate alternative".

I hope some clergy are brave enough to give it a go without parishioners kicking up a stink.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

IncenseTom wrote:My understanding of this is that Cardinal Sarah is saying the normal way of celebrating Mass has always been (and continues to be) ad orientem and that Mass versus populum is a permissible option.

It isn't necessary to encourage/ ask/ recommend, etc priests to celebrate ad orientem because that's "the norm" (although clearly not in practise)

I see it as a reminder of what is "the norm" and what is "a legitimate alternative".

I hope some clergy are brave enough to give it a go without parishioners kicking up a stink.

Just to quote the General Introduction to the Roman Missal
"The altar should be built separate from the wall, in such a way that it is possible to walk around it easily and that Mass may be celebrated facing the people, which is desirable whenever possible."
This the "norm" for the current Roman Missal. Maybe the cardinal should make himself more familiar with GIRM.
Those who celebrate using other books have their own norms. It is not for me to comment on their practices.
High Peak
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Nottingham

Post by High Peak »

alan29 wrote:Just to quote the General Introduction to the Roman Missal
"The altar should be built separate from the wall........."

I am informed by a priest friend that there is some debate as to the accuracy of the translation of that line. Can anyone cast any light?
contrabordun

Post by contrabordun »

299. Altare maius exstruatur a pariete seiunctum, ut facile circumiri et in eo celebratio versus populum peragi possit, quod expedit ubicumque possibile sit. Altare eum autem occupet locum, ut revera centrum sit ad quod totius congregationis fidelium attentio sponte convertatur.114 De more sit fixum et dedicatum.

299. The altar should be built separate from the wall, in such a way that it is possible to walk around it easily and that Mass can be celebrated at it facing the people, which is desirable wherever possible. Moreover, the altar should occupy a place where it is truly the centre toward which the attention of the whole congregation of the faithful naturally turns.116 The altar should usually be fixed and dedicated

Which part is in doubt? Looks plausible to my (somewhat rusty) Latin. The bit about easily being able walk around it is ok and I'm pretty sure about the bit I've emboldened.
Paul Hodgetts
alan29

Post by alan29 »

High Peak wrote:
alan29 wrote:Just to quote the General Introduction to the Roman Missal
"The altar should be built separate from the wall........."

I am informed by a priest friend that there is some debate as to the accuracy of the translation of that line. Can anyone cast any light?

Well if it isn't built separate from the wall it makes it pretty difficult to walk around and celebrate facing the people. And that seems to be the main point of the paragraph.
Its also worth pointing out that the translation I quoted is approved by the Vatican which sort of makes it official for the current Roman Missal.
But as I said, people who use other Missals will have their own norms.
High Peak
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Nottingham

Post by High Peak »

alan29

Post by alan29 »

As in Whitehall, so in the Vatican - people put in charge of ministries often have no particular expertise in the area they manage.