Dance Workshop in Leeds

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

oopsorganist

Dance Workshop in Leeds

Post by oopsorganist »

The Oasis Centre in South Leeds has the following workshop. These are not at the moment well attended and are very comfortable events suitable for a youth group maybe, or parish group.
Saturday 6th February 2016
at South Leeds Oasis

The Community, Training and Retreat Centre at Hunslet Methodist Church invite you to explore Enneagram and Circle Dance

The Enneagram is a system of personality and has evolved from ancient teachings. It is a tool to help individuals gain self-awareness and understanding. The system invites us to discover ‘who we really are’ by encouraging us to look deeper at our own psychological and spiritual growth. This will be a gentle introduction.

Circle Dance is fun and meditative and can engender inner stillness. It is a way of keeping fit, exercising both mind and body.

Leaders: David Mahon and Melanie Wood are from Tumble Trust.
Tumble Trust takes its inspiration from cherished Christian Mystical traditions. Tumble aims to combine both contemplative teachings with relaxation and fun for individual and communal renewal.

Fee: £12.00. Please bring a packed lunch, drinks will be provided. Please book.

Programme

10.00am Welcome and session 1

11.00am Break

11.30am Session 2

12.30pm Lunch

1.30pm Session 3

2.30pm Break

3.00pm Session 4

4.00pm Close

o0O0o

Booking Form for Saturday 6th February
Name...............................................
Address...........................................
…........................................
Telephone.........................................
Email.............................................
Signed.............................................
Please return the booking form by
Saturday 23rd January 2016 to:
Erica Hartley
43 Laurel Place, Middleton, Leeds, LS10 4SU
Alternatively email admin@lswmethodists.org.uk
or phone 07500424891
uh oh!
oopsorganist

Re: Dance Workshop in Leeds

Post by oopsorganist »

And I forgot to add, John Bell workshop or talk, I don't know which, in March plus something on science and the Ressurection in April by a Durham Academic. More details to follow as I get them.
uh oh!
BobHayes
Parish / Diocese: St Mary of the Angels - Diocese of Salford

Post by BobHayes »

I hadn't realised ecumenism extended to New Age and occult-inspired practices such as the enneagram. :?
Bob
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

Or er. Don't know. Andy Raine might know. I don't.
They're Methodists, they don't usually do anything very radical.
It would be good for youth groups or parish groups - a sort of an awayday. A bit of dancing. Not devil worship. Just dancing.
I hope so anyway.
uh oh!
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

OCT 1 2014
A spiritual personality test, the Enneagram takes an honest look at our weaknesses.
Laura Turner
READ AS SINGLE PAGE
The first time I read it, I was convinced someone had been following me around. If I kept a journal, I would have been sure they were reading it. As it was, I was certain someone had opened a door inside my mind, walked into the darkest places, and written it all down in this book.
The book was Richard Rohr and Andreas Ebert’s The Enneagram: A Christian Perspective. (It’s pronounced any-a-gram.) I had been flipping through it, but quickly realized this wasn’t a book to flip through. Intrigued and scared, I wasn’t quite sure what it was.
The Enneagram is an ancient personality typology, understanding people through the lens of their passions and their temptations. The fear came from a desire to turn a blind eye to the worst parts of me. I was pretty familiar with the Myers-Briggs test at that point, and appreciated learning about my type and how I interacted with others. I knew the color of my parachute, had found my strengths, and figured out who moved my cheese. In other words, I was conversant in personality types and leadership literature. But self-awareness, I was learning, only goes so far when you just celebrate your strengths.
At the recommendation of a friend, I took the Enneagram online assessment, which categorizes each person as a number, one through nine. I was a three. It sounded like a nice number—number of persons in the Trinity, number of gifts from the wise men, the number of things that should be in a list. There’s even a Latin saying—omne trium perfectum—that means “everything that comes in threes is perfect.”
Turns out, the Latins never heard of the Enneagram.
If it sounds a little mystical at first, that’s because the roots of the Enneagram stretch back to the fourth century —or so authors Rohr and Ebert posit. Its exact origins are contested, but by many accounts, the idea of having nine types (“Enneagram” means “nine-pointed shape”) derives from Evagrius Ponticus’s eight deadly thoughts and the central thought he called “love of self.” Ponticus was a Christian monk and ascetic, a Roman citizen in the late 4th century who lived in a monastic community outside of Alexandria many years of his life.
During his tenure in Alexandria, Ponticus developed a list of deadly thoughts: vainglory, anger, greed, gluttony, sloth, sorrow, pride, and lust, to which he added “love of self” as the first thought of all. This list provided the blueprint for what were to become the Seven Deadly Sins of the Catholic Church, which Pope Gregory I would assemble from this list some 200 years later.
uh oh!