Hymn to St Stephen

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

helen rees
Parish / Diocese: southwark

Hymn to St Stephen

Post by helen rees »

Can anyone help me with the tune that is most commonly used for the hymn to St Stephen: Holy Stephen, Christ's dear martyr,
First to shed thy blood for Him....." Our group is playing at a mass for the Guild of St Stephen and while it fits a lot of well known tunes, I would like to use a definitive version everyone knows.

Thanks for your help
JW

Re: Hymn to St Stephen

Post by JW »

In our parish, it's sung to Hyfrydol (Alleluia Sing To Jesus). Don't know what happens elsewhere. We usually have a few servers at that event (assuming it's the one next week).
JW
helen rees

Post by helen rees »

Thank you John, that works nicely for our singers. And yes, it is the Mass at Aylesford on Monday. Am praying for good weather on a bank holiday Monday. Is that asking for too much?
Ian Coleman
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by Ian Coleman »

Abbotts Leigh also works well - but I guess you've made your choice. 'Ode to Joy' fits, but doesn't (for me) really do the job.
helen rees

Post by helen rees »

Abbots Leigh would also be good for us. I want to find the tune most people will know. If any one is attending the Altar Servers Mass on Monday 4th at Ayelsford and likes singing do come and say hallo. The more voices the merrier.