Heritage Open Days

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

BobHayes
Parish / Diocese: St Mary of the Angels - Diocese of Salford

Heritage Open Days

Post by BobHayes »

Are any parishes / churches participating in the Heritage Open Days weekend - 11-14 September? In particular I am thinking of events beyond the 'come and look round our nice building' format. Evangelisation, music, other events....?
Bob
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Re: Heritage Open Days

Post by VML »

That sounds a very good idea. I know our main deanery church has done in the past but is conspicuous by its absence from the list this year. Our smaller church is only 22 years old.
BobHayes

Post by BobHayes »

We are opening 10am-4pm on Friday and Saturday. Visitors will be able to explore, guided by signage explaining everything from aspects of Catholic worship to architectural features. Volunteers will be on hand to show visitors 'behind the scenes' - e.g. the sacristy and confessionals. The parish centre will be open with displays about the history of the church and a selection of photographs of people and events from the 1920s to the recent past. Complementary light refreshments will be served to visitors.

http://www.heritageopendays.org.uk/dire ... s-ann-paul

Participation in Heritage Open Days by Catholic churches seems to be very tardy - and has been for many years. Four English Catholic cathedrals are participating, as are just a handful of parish churches. It seems to me a great shame that we do not make more of this opportunity to open our doors to our neighbours in the local community and to passers by.
Bob
old barmaid

Post by old barmaid »

I think that the shrine church of St. Peter, Paul and Philomena in Birkenhead has quite a full programme for the heritage Open days as does the Bar Convent ln York on the other side of the Pennines
old barmaid

Post by old barmaid »

Sorry! Not Birkenhead, the shrine Church is in New Brighton.
BobHayes

Post by BobHayes »

Our two-day event went smoothly and was appreciated by our visitors, several of whom were curious to find out about or return to the Catholic faith. Our complimentary refreshments in the parish centre offered a welcome break for the serious heritage trailers - and we received generous donations for Mary's Meals. Deo gratias. :D

I would certainly recommend others to think about participating in Heritage Open Days 2015.
Bob