Service of rededication/commission of musicians, etc

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

High Peak
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Nottingham

Service of rededication/commission of musicians, etc

Post by High Peak »

At the Summer School mention was made of some parishes (mainly in the USA, I believe) of an annual sevice of rededication/commission for liturgists, musicians, singers, etc somewhere along the lines of that for Extraordinary Ministers of the Eucharist.

I have discussed this with our PP and he is in favour.

Does anyone know of where I may find resources/ideas for this?
dmu3tem

Re: Service of rededication/commission of musicians, etc

Post by dmu3tem »

The Anglicans do quite a bit of this sort of thing; especially in Cathedrals, but also in Parishes with vigorous choir-organ traditions. I would not be surprised if the RSCM/Sarum college do not also have materials. I know that in the Anglican church at my mother's village, there is always a special prayer for the choir at the end of every service just before their dismissal.
T.E.Muir
alan29

Post by alan29 »

A good start would be the choristers' prayer

Bless, O Lord, us Thy servants,
who minister in Thy temple.
Grant that what we sing with our lips,
we may believe in our hearts,
and what we believe in our hearts,
we may show forth in our lives.
Through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.

..... and not only for ministers.
Becky
Parish / Diocese: Arundel and Brighton

Post by Becky »

The Book of Blessings has a prayer of blessing that can be used for musicians, during Mass; the Liturgy Office reproduces it here: http://www.liturgyoffice.org.uk/Documents/Blessings.pdf
Do Not Be Afraid
Parish / Diocese: Nottingham Diocese

Post by Do Not Be Afraid »

Dear HP.. I can't add much to the fantastic suggestions already made, but one thing I did want to offer was a Hymn Suggestion!! Some years ago I was at a music day where we were invited to "renew" our commitment to our ministry as part of the broader day.

I was very taken with the opening hymn to that liturgy - I understand quite an old hymn "When In Our Music God is Glorified", but sung to a fantastic tune which I had not heard before. None other than Marty Haugen. I think even that I've seen a few versions of, but the one I have in mind is actually one of the tunes of Hymn 802 in the "Celebration Hymnal for Everyone". (Other hymnbooks are available..)

The whole thing was enhanced by the leader asking us to read the words through first and find particular sentences/phrases/words which touched us. The resounding Alleluias at the end of each verse, and particularly at the end of the last verse were just astounding and have stayed with me.

As I say, maybe slightly focused given your original question, but I hope it helps. Maybe one hymn less you have to find for the occasion! :D
Ephrem Feeley
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Meath

Post by Ephrem Feeley »

An excellent idea. We have been thinking of doing this in our own parish, as there are a large number of people who have been singing in choirs and music groups for years, and it would be fitting to have some form of recognition of service, as well as blessing the musicians in their work. There are various forms of blessing over musical instruments and ministers in the Book of Blessings. A suitable date might be the weekend closest to the Feast of St Cecilia - given the fact that she is the patron saint of musicians. Marty Haugen's piece When in Our Music God is Glorified is indeed a strong setting. Another that makes explicit reference to various ministry groups is Chris Walker's Send Us as Your Blessing, Lord. The last verse is "Bless us all the music makers who sing your praise / In our songs and music speak to your people / That the music of heaven will sound here on earth". Great text-writing, on sound theological grounds.
High Peak

Post by High Peak »

Thank you for all the suggestions so far.

We have a parishioner who has the gift of being able to compose beautiful Prayers of Intercession. She is going to work on something, perhaps along the lines of questions and response similar to those during a wedding service.
High Peak

Post by High Peak »

Hello again.

This is the first draft. Any comments or observations?

Celebrant:
God of Glory, Your beloved Son has shown us that true worship comes from humble and contrite hearts. Bless our brothers and sisters, who have responded to the needs of our parish in offering to commit themselves to Your service as Liturgists, Musicians, Cantors and Choristers. Grant that their Ministry may be fruitful and our worship be pleasing in your sight. We ask this through Christ our Lord.
ALL: Amen

Are you prepared and willing to give of your time and energies to support your parish in prayer?
MINISTERS: I am

Are you prepared and willing to be committed to sharing your God-given musical talents to lead and enhance the Liturgy and Prayer Life of your Parish, in the Mass and in other Services of Prayer?

Are you prepared and willing always and everywhere, to do your best to reverence all that is good, all that is holy, and in this way give glory to God by your whole life?

Ministers join in prayer together:
Bless us your servants, O Lord, who offer our Ministry of Liturgy and Music in Your Church. Grant that what we sing we may believe in our hearts and show forth in our lives. Amen

Celebrant to Congregation:
Are you all prepared to support these Liturgists, Musicians, Cantors and Choristers in the Music Ministry they offer in service of our prayer and worship?
ALL: We are.

Celebrant:
We, your Parish Community, give thanks to God, for the leadership in Liturgy and Music Ministry you offer to enhance our efforts to lift our hearts and our minds to God. May Almighty God bless each one of you. We ask this through Jesus Christ our Lord.
ALL: AMEN
blackthorn fairy
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Wellingborough Northamptonshire

Post by blackthorn fairy »

Regarding When in our music God is glorified (can't get the italic thing to work), does no one know the wonderful Stanford tune 'Engleberg'? A fitting complement to Fred Pratt Green's wonderful words IMHO.
blackthorn fairy
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Wellingborough Northamptonshire

Post by blackthorn fairy »

Oh it did work (the italic) - I was expecting it to appear on the draft message page. Sorry. I'll know not to panic next time. Back on topic - I remember being asked to draw up a form of words for this some time ago but it was never used. Good idea though. In my church the altar servers have one - so why not the musicians?
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

High Peak wrote:This is the first draft. Any comments or observations?

Grant that what we sing we may believe in our hearts and show forth in our lives.

Perhaps sing with our lips (or mouths?), which is the usual form of the prayer and preserves the balance with hearts and lives later on.
High Peak

Post by High Peak »

Hello everyone.

For those who were interested, this is what we ended up with; the pamphlet is designed to be folded twice.

The lady who did most of the work on this is happy for you to make use of it should you wish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

It is a lovely pamphlet, and excuse me for being picky, as the bit that was not in the draft was St Cecilia, who is, I believe, usually spelt with Cecilia, not Cecelia,
Thanks for the work that has gone into this,
High Peak

Post by High Peak »

You are, indeed, correct.

Moral of this story: proof read carefully!

Thankfully it's not yet been printed!!
High Peak

Post by High Peak »

Here is the corrected version. :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.