Pope Francis moves to suppress liturgical abuses

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

BobHayes
Parish / Diocese: St Mary of the Angels - Diocese of Salford

Pope Francis moves to suppress liturgical abuses

Post by BobHayes »

The Prey Tell blog reports steps are being taken to suppress liturgical abuses that have grown out of the sign of peace during Mass. Abuses singled-out included:

a) The introduction of a “song for peace”, which is non-existent in the Roman Rite.
b) The movement of the faithful from their places to exchange the sign of peace amongst themselves.
c) The departure of the priest from the altar in order to give the sign of peace to some of the faithful.
d) That in certain circumstances, such as at the Solemnity of Easter or of Christmas, or during ritual celebrations such as Baptism, First Communion, Confirmation, Matrimony, Sacred Ordinations, Religious Professions, and Funerals, the exchange of peace being the occasion for expressing congratulations, best wishes or condolences among those present.

Full coverage here: http://www.praytellblog.com/index.php/2 ... e-at-mass/
Bob
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Re: Pope Francis moves to suppress liturgical abuses

Post by HallamPhil »

It is good that here we have a more focussed consideration of just one area of abuse. Much better then the catalogue of abuses we were offered a few years ago.
I think the action of the sign of peace almost presumes that we find ourselves sitting next to different people each week. Then the sign is more powerful ... we will be at peace with whoever happens to be close to us in the pew.

As to the sign we use it depends on the culture. In India it is the namaste greeting which involves no contact except eye contact ... now even that would be an improvement!
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Presumably the chaste kiss that my wife and I exchange at that point will be outside what is acceptable.
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Astounding that such practices are seen as "abuse".
dmu3tem

Post by dmu3tem »

Nick Baty wrote:Astounding that such practices are seen as "abuse".

Quite so! This is 'scribes and pharisees' stuff.
T.E.Muir
alan29

Post by alan29 »

I look at all the internal issues the church has to tackle, and I look at the state of the world the church is meant to be serving; then I read this document .......... :shock:
BobHayes

Post by BobHayes »

alan29 wrote:I look at all the internal issues the church has to tackle, and I look at the state of the world the church is meant to be serving; then I read this document .......... :shock:

The difficulty - I suggest - with seeing aspects of the conduct of Liturgy ('abuses' as the circular describes them) as minor, in comparison to other matters facing the Church and the world, is that such an approach can be used to argue any case that elements of the Liturgy are 'superfluous' in comparison to the pressing needs of the Church and the world.

Observations such as....

'Why is so much parish time and effort spent on music, its planning and rehearsal, when parishioners could be giving their time as street pastors or fundraising for persecuted Christians?'

'Why don't we have a simple celebration and dispense with vestments, hymn books, sacred vessels, candlesticks, alter servers etc. and donate the money saved to the local food bank?'

...become difficult to challenge once the principle of 'more pressing matters' is invoked.

Quite simply, I would suggest that the 'there are more important things to bother about' approach is the thin end of a wedge that can produce plausible arguments to reduce the Liturgy to a simple ceremony of the Word and Eucharist. After all accounts of the Last Supper do not seem to refer to processions, choirs and complex musical repertoire.
Last edited by BobHayes on Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
BobHayes

Post by BobHayes »

Seeing a priest (as I have done several times) striding theatrically from the Sanctuary and shaking hands with various parishioners reminds me of the behaviour of 1970s game show hosts greeting their fans at the beginning of the show. The priest may believe it is a sign of 'inclusion', but it smacks of clericalism. 'Whose hands will he shake? Me please!'
:roll:
Bob
BobHayes

Post by BobHayes »

BobHayes wrote:... dispense with vestments, hymn books, sacred vessels, candlesticks, alter servers etc. and donate the money saved ...

That should of course be altar servers. :oops:
Bob
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

BobHayes wrote:Seeing a priest (as I have done several times) striding theatrically from the Sanctuary and shaking hands with various parishioners reminds me of the behaviour of 1970s game show hosts greeting their fans at the beginning of the show. The priest may believe it is a sign of 'inclusion', but it smacks of clericalism. 'Whose hands will he shake? Me please!'

Seems a little judgemental? I suggest you read the entire discussion at the Pray Tell blog (link in the first post).
BobHayes

Post by BobHayes »

Southern Comfort wrote:
BobHayes wrote:Seeing a priest (as I have done several times) striding theatrically from the Sanctuary and shaking hands with various parishioners reminds me of the behaviour of 1970s game show hosts greeting their fans at the beginning of the show. The priest may believe it is a sign of 'inclusion', but it smacks of clericalism. 'Whose hands will he shake? Me please!'

Seems a little judgemental? I suggest you read the entire discussion at the Pray Tell blog (link in the first post).

Funnily enough, I did read the whole discussion before writing the OP and citing PTB as the source of the story SC, and have kept-up with postings since.

'Judgemental'? Do please clarify.
Bob
Southern Comfort

BobHayes wrote:'Judgemental'? Do please clarify.

Well, "striding theatrically" is certainly a judgement call. The priest could be making speed precisely to cut down the amount of time outside the sanctuary and not hold up the ritual action excessively. And I'm quite sure that a priest who moves expeditiously to the bereaved at a funeral, or to the newly-baptised at the Easter Vigil, is not behaving theatrically but pastorally. It's easy to confuse someone with a concern for people and someone who wants to be the centre of attention.

As for thinking that people would be overly concerned with whether the priest grasps their hand or not (the Pope, yes, maybe, but the parish priest?!!...), I think this betrays more clericalism in your attitude than in that of those in the pews. Just sayin'.
BobHayes

Post by BobHayes »

You may recall the 70s/80s TV chef Graham Kerr - the Galloping Gourmet. It was the priests' similar 'stage presence' that led me to make my 'judgemental' observations.

One of them also felt the need to ad lib during the Mass and the Scripture readings and Intercessions of Morning and Evening Prayer if the text did not suit his personal taste.

With all this DIY 'liturgy' it is no wonder Pope Francis endorsed the circular that seeks to suppress abuses.
Bob
Southern Comfort

BobHayes wrote:With all this DIY 'liturgy' it is no wonder Pope Francis endorsed the circular that seeks to suppress abuses.

You think he even saw it? This is a circular letter from the outgoing prefect of the CDWDS. The pope didn't sign it, nor endorse it. He has much bigger fish to fry just at the moment, and the topic of this particular effusion from the Congregation is a prime example of rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic. (BTW a recent post on the Pray Tell blog debunks the use of the word "abuse" in this context.)
BobHayes

Post by BobHayes »

Southern Comfort wrote:
You think he even saw it? [...] The pope didn't sign it, nor endorse it.

The text of the circular can be found in full here: http://www.praytellblog.com/wp-content/ ... on_SOP.pdf The circular states the need 'to definitively avoid abuses' (Clause 6.c) and concludes:

The Holy Father Pope Francis, on 7 June, 2014 approved and confirmed the contents of which is contained in this Circular Letter...

I am sure you are not suggesting that Antonio Cardinal Cañizares Llovera and + Arthur Roche fabricated the concluding text. Therefore we should accept that the Holy Father endorsed this circular and its content.
Bob