Organ nightmares

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

markyboy
Parish / Diocese: Whitby Middlesbrough

Re: Organ nightmares

Post by markyboy »

As a young man I played at a local Anglican church. Just prior to my leaving there was a LIVE tv communion service. Not being Anglican I was unsure what to expect and no-one obliged me with a text. The organ was at the back, up stairs, and the chancel was some way off, slightly out of clear view, with a dodgy long-delay acoustic. The chap I thought I was relying on decided to go down to recieve communion, leaving me playing voluntaries. I couldn't see clearly enough that distribution had finished, and carried on. The tv director was with the clergy, and it was only when the celebrant bellowed 'let there be peace' that someone realised I hadn't stopped. As I was leaving after the following week's Matins, I didn't feel obliged to quit.
To add to the confusion - the director made it back to me for the final hymn, which I played at my usual speed; the acoustic and position of the microphone meant that it came over on tv in distinct waves, almost a line apart!
Surprisingly no-one has ever said anything to me about it, either then or in the intervening 35 years.
IncenseTom
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Leeds

Post by IncenseTom »

I arrived in church this morning, put the hymn numbers out, switched on the organ, selected my registration and put my fingers on the keys to play quietly before Mass.............no sound. Nothing.

Switched the organ off and on again, tried several different stops. Silence. :shock:

The blower was making a whining sort of sound, so we think that the air wasn't getting through properly.
We had to carry the electric piano which is used very rarely onto the sanctuary next to the organ console and use that instead. It was far from ideal but Mass went along in the usual way with the usual music (including an organ improvisation during the incensing at the offertory!).
It felt very odd playing the electric piano whilst still wearing my cassock!

Hopefully it will all be sorted in the next couple of days (the PP is contacting our organ tuner in the morning) as there is a funeral on Thursday, oh, and my wedding on Saturday!!!
JW

Post by JW »

Congratulations and every best wish for the wedding and hopefully you'll have the organ. I must admit I had a vision of you playing Here Comes the Bride as your intended walks down the aisle but I assume you've hired another organist!
JW
IncenseTom

Post by IncenseTom »

Thank you. Yes, a few people have joked about that, although she's coming in to the famous bit from Saint Saens Organ Symphony.
Terry Quinn
Parish / Diocese: St John the Baptist RC. Burnley

Post by Terry Quinn »

Sub-title 'Organist' Nightmare'
I was engaged to play the organ for a wedding, a few days ago, at a church which was unfamiliar to me.
The stand in priest was charming but difficult to follow because of his strong, Asian accent. Announcements and cues for hymns, were unintelligible :? and the whole affair was not easy. I had to chance my arm at times and fortunately my guesses and instincts carried me through…… Til' the end, that is.
As the guests were leaving the church I was beginning to feel uneasy over my fee which up to this point had not been forthcoming. Strange church, no contact details, the priest and registrar had evaporated and the wedding party were fast heading for the horizon, never to be seen or heard of again!
Being a ‘time served fee-hunter’ I was able to locate and ‘discreetly’ collar the bride-groom’s father who then sped off to track down my envelope.
When he eventually came back, he was full of apologies and told me that the groom had forgotten about it. Surprise, surprise! There it was, languishing in his pocket.
As I always feel it inappropriate to check the contents in front of the wedding party I pocketed the envelope and headed to my car which was some distance away.
With the engine ticking over and all prepared to head for home I do not know what possessed me to break with my routine and check the envelope. Inside, wasn’t the expected cheque but the marriage certificate! :roll:
IncenseTom

Post by IncenseTom »

Organ all sorted out now. Phew! :D
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

That is a relief for you.
I hope your wedding is wonderful, and you are blessed with a long happy marriage.
'May you live to see your children's children'.
IncenseTom

Post by IncenseTom »

Many thanks, VML. :)
musicus

Post by musicus »

VML wrote:That is a relief for you.
I hope your wedding is wonderful, and you are blessed with a long happy marriage.
'May you live to see your children's children'.

Amen to that!
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
Terry Quinn
Parish / Diocese: St John the Baptist RC. Burnley

Post by Terry Quinn »

Not very long ago I was engaged to accompany an accomplished and well known mezzo soprano during a funeral Mass. The ancient wheezy organ is in the west gallery, and it meant that I was seated with my back to the assembly. The singer was positioned a few feet behind my back, looking down the nave.
As her solo approached its climax I firmly and quickly drew the all important stop with great expectation. To my horror It flew over my shoulder, hit the prima donna on the head and landed in the body of the church. She still speaks to me!
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

IncenseTom wrote:It felt very odd playing the electric piano whilst still wearing my cassock!

Seriously?
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

I once saw a cantor in a cassock. Sadly, such practices are alive and well.
DoMPortsmouth
Parish / Diocese: Portsmouth Cathedral

Post by DoMPortsmouth »

Nick Baty wrote:I once saw a cantor in a cassock. Sadly, such practices are alive and well.

Seriously?
Peter Newman
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Yep. Interestingly, the assembly more or less ignored him, although might have been more to do with his teachery attitude than his attire.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Organs and cassocks really don't mix especially if in public view.