Hymn of St. Philip Howard?

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

High Peak
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Nottingham

Hymn of St. Philip Howard?

Post by High Peak »

I can't believe that I am already thinking of next year's Lent and/or Triduum!!

Back in the day, I was a Bradford Student and the patron saint of our chaplaincy was Philip Howard. The patronal celebration was always a big affair with a Pontifical Mass (in a chapel the size of a large living room!!), a small schola singing one of Byrd's Masses (I didn't appreciate it then as much as I would now!!) and thence to the bar (directly below the chapel) for a pint (or seven) of the black stuff. We prayed hard and played hard!! :D

During the Mass we sang a hymn that we always refered to as the "Hymn of St Philip Howard" (based on his words?). Whilst clearing up my study I have come across an old order of service booklet from the 80s (I can't throw anything away) which has the words of said hymn. I can remember the melody. I wonder, does anyone recognise it and, perchance, have music?

The first couple of verses are as follows:

O Christ, my Lord which for my sins didst hang upon a tree,
grant that thy grace in me, poor wretch, may still ingrafted be, may still ingrafted be.

Grant that thy naked hanging there may kill in me all pride
and care of wealth, since thou didst then in such poor state abide, in such poor state abide.
Southern Comfort

Re: Hymn of St. Philip Howard?

Post by Southern Comfort »

You might want to contact the current director of music at Arundel Cathedral, dedicated to St Philip Howard and where there is a chapel dedicated to him. The DoM is Elizabeth Stratford, the cathedral address is London Road, Arundel, West Sussex BN18 9AY, and cathedral website gives a generic cathedral email contact address: aruncath1@aol.com
High Peak
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Nottingham

Re: Hymn of St. Philip Howard?

Post by High Peak »

Good thinking. Thanks!