Bishops fix date for ending old music settings

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

JW

Bishops fix date for ending old music settings

Post by JW »

It will not be permissible to use old-translation Mass settings and paraphrases after Pentecost Sunday 8th June: http://www.catholic-ew.org.uk/Home/News/Implementing-Music. I wonder who prepared the 'Singing the Mass' document that goes with the news item and what criteria were used for the settings recommended in that document? I would have thought that the Duffy revised Gloria would be there, and the Walker Belmont Mass &/or revised Celtic Eucharistic Acclamations, and Liam Lawton's Glendalough Mass.

I suspect there are quite a few parishes and schools who will have an issue with this. How will compliance with the directive be monitored? Schools will have to comply pronto to pass RE inspections, but what will happen in parishes, I wonder?
JW
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Re: Bishops fix date for ending old music settings

Post by VML »

You mean there are schools that actually sing the Mass parts?! Here it is a hymn sandwich. Nothing to do with me..
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Confused here. You mean it was permissible to use the old text all along?
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Nick Baty wrote:Confused here. You mean it was permissible to use the old text all along?

Yes. And there are a few parishes that have not changed their music settings, and say they will not change. Others have stopped singing altogether, which is one of the regrettable aspects of the revised translation of the Roman Missal.
JW

Post by JW »

VML wrote:You mean there are schools that actually sing the Mass parts?! Here it is a hymn sandwich. Nothing to do with me..

Regularly used to do the Peruvian Gloria at class masses when I taught Year 4 about 15 years ago. Happy days! I believe the school still sings the Gloria (was Anderson but I think they've gone on to mine) and Alleluia on Holy Days.

It's all very well but if dioceses don't provide proper training and support to parishes the outlook continues to be bleak for those who don't have musicians versed in the liturgy. Again, I don't see how this can possibly be properly policed; I've already heard a suggestion that parish musicians could prepare Missal Chants for any visiting bishop and revert to doing what they like for the rest of the year: reminds me of my days in Compliance where the objective was to get round any regulations imposed that local management disagreed with!
JW
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Post by HallamPhil »

Last week Hallam Diocese began a programme of 2 evening sessions in each deanery. Next week sees Part 2 workshops in Sheffield North, Barnsley and Rotherham Deaneries. Message me if you want to know further dates in the programme which ends in June.
Fr Allen Morris
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by Fr Allen Morris »

The Society has produced a couple of resources to assist with this next step in the introduction of the Missal translation.
They will appear on the Society's own site very shortly, but in the meantime they can be accessed at http://rcdow.org.uk/diocese/liturgy/news/singing/
Allen Morris
markyboy
Parish / Diocese: Whitby Middlesbrough

Post by markyboy »

Perhaps at the same time the bishops will insist that priests use only the new translation, not pick and mix, or ignore it, as some do now. For the bishops to issue this musical directive now, without having ensured that their presbyteral brethren toe the line, is illogical. Personally I like the new translation, on the whole, and the return of so many scriptural references enriches the experience for me.
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Personally I like the new translation, on the whole, and the return of so many scriptural references enriches the experience for me.

Absolutleigh!
alan29

Post by alan29 »

.... but those Collects. :?
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

And the bits in between them :(
alan29

Post by alan29 »

I agree. Too much of it sounds like a 1970s record liner translation from Hungary ......... original in one hand, dictionary in the other. Oh hang on, that was their intention, wasn't it.
BTW there is a very disappointed diocese here at the moment. :(
Nick Baty

Post by Nick Baty »

Disappointed because you hoped to pass on a little something to a neighbour?
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Indeedy.
quaeritor

Post by quaeritor »

Gwyn wrote:
Personally I like the new translation, on the whole, and the return of so many scriptural references enriches the experience for me.

Absolutleigh!

Abbotslutleigh? :?:
Q