Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Chris

Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral

Post by Chris »

ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF MUSIC

This iconic and inspiring Cathedral Church has a tradition of innovative liturgy and music.

Following a restructuring of the music department, the Cathedral is looking to make an appointment to the new post of Assistant Director of Music.

The Assistant Director of Music should not only have the necessary musical skills, qualifications and experience as outlined in the person specification, but should have a full and sympathetic understanding of the meaning and principles of the Catholic liturgy.

Applications are invited from practising Catholics or committed Christians of other denominations with appropriate qualifications and experience.

The post is full time. Salary is in the region of £22,000, and there is a pension arrangement. Accommodation is not offered.

Closing date for applications: Monday 3 March 2014.

Interviews will be held: 13 and 14 March 2014.

The appointment will commence on 1 September 2014.

For further details and to download an application pack, please visit:

http://www.liverpoolmetrocathedral.org.uk/get-involved/job-vacancies/
nazard
Parish / Diocese: Clifton

Re: Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral

Post by nazard »

The salary is hardly attractive. Didn't Clifton offer about three times that for a general administrator about a year back? It hardly suggests Liverpool take music very seriously. I'm glad I didn't choose to read music at university.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

nazard wrote:The salary is hardly attractive. Didn't Clifton offer about three times that for a general administrator about a year back? It hardly suggests Liverpool take music very seriously. I'm glad I didn't choose to read music at university.

They are hoping to attract someone with a post grad degree and FRCO, who will run several choirs etc. Isn't a labourer worthy of his pay?
musicus

Post by musicus »

On the other hand, it is £22,000 more than most of us get.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
alan29

Post by alan29 »

But most of us aren't expected to be full-time.
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

£200 more than a newly-qualified teacher!
I have a classroom assistant, with two music degrees, working for several thousand less!
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Nick Baty wrote:£200 more than a newly-qualified teacher!
I have a classroom assistant, with two music degrees, working for several thousand less!

Speaks volumes about how education is valued - without getting all political, naturally.
justMary
Parish / Diocese: Republic of Ireland

Post by justMary »

Labour economics is a very simple discipline: if everyone who is qualified can get more money elsewhere, then they will do so and this job will not be filled at this rate. If not, then someone will get the job.

If someone who is clever gets the job, then they will probably push to improve the conditions based on what exactly "full time" means, whether they can take private pupils, whether they can market their private teaching services to people they meet through the job, and who owns the copyright for any works they compose or arrange on-the-job.
musicus

Post by musicus »

For all that, this is a significant position (in a time when other establishments are de-professionalising - e.g. Llandaff Cathedral) and deserves our support. Please draw it to the attention of any possible interested parties.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Certainly can't disagree with that.