The wickedness of face cream

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

blackthorn fairy
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Wellingborough Northamptonshire

Re: The wickedness of face cream

Post by blackthorn fairy »

From the programme for the Mass sheet for Arundel cathedral for the Carpet of Flowers festival on 30th May:
Pleni sunt cacti et terra gloria tua.

... and a board outsIde the pub where I was staying advertised a Special Corpus Christie menu.
(Luckily we were spared an Agatha Dei!)
JW

Post by JW »

"Carpet of flowers festival". "Pleni sunt cacti et terra gloria tua". Is that a Catholic festival along the lines of 'O Mary we crown thee with blossoms?' Were the druids invited as an ecumenical gesture? :twisted:

BTW why does this spell-check try to capitalise 'gloria'??? Reminds me of the 'sic transit Gloria mundi' joke (she was taken ill on the bus at the beginning of the week) :roll:
JW
musicus

Post by musicus »

blackthorn fairy wrote: (Luckily we were spared an Agatha Dei!)

Or her brother, the well-known Angus.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
blackthorn fairy

The Carpet of Fowers is for Corpus Christi (real CC on Thursday!) and has nothing to do with flowers of the rarest and blossoms of May etc. After Mass in the cathedral, a long procession winds its way down the street, through the gate into the castle, round the grounds (pausing for a brief Benediction in a courtyard) then making its way back to the cathedral for proper Benediction. Good singing too (of the Sweet Sacrament Divine variety) kept up throughout the procession by means of strategically placed loudspeakers, so that wherever you were, you could hear the organ and choir beavering away in the gallery. Somehow it all worked - the only blip was in the small gap between leaving the cathedral and arriving at the first loudspeaker.
JW

Post by JW »

Thanks for the clarification blackthorn fairy - I had thought Arundel had gone all 'soft and fluffy' (a phrase borrowed from Archbishop Smith's sermon to the UCM at Aylesford last week). Sorry, and this is personal to me: I do tend to avoid this sort of devotion unless absolutely necessary - but then that's my (lack of?) spirituality. I've found a slide show of the Carpet of Flowers here: http://www.midsussextimes.co.uk/news/videos-and-slideshows/slideshow-carpet-of-flowers-at-arundel-1-5141392 . No mention of Corpus Christi, though the flowers spell out "Year of Faith" and include a cross - some might make the sort of assumptions that I've made - in this slideshow have the flowers taken priority over Our Lord?

I daren't repeat on this forum what an Anglican Cathedral's DOM said to a certain choral society's altos last night when they made a mistake on a repeated 'teste' - as in the Dies Irae: "teste David cum sybilla", but I'm sure it can be easily imagined!
Last edited by JW on Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JW
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

JW wrote:Sorry, and this is personal to me: I do tend to avoid this sort of devotion unless absolutely necessary - but then that's my (lack of?) spirituality.
Me too – I've never quite understood it (although I love the music) but that's probably because of my (lack of?) eucharistic spirituality. (Or I've just read too much Luther!)
blackthorn fairy

Yes JW - the Year of Faith was commemorated in the disply - together with a significant anniversary of the Order of St John of Jerusalem (I think) some of whose representatives were there in full gear. This was the cross - the Maltese Cross - depicted in the display (which was next to the bench where I was sitting). As for the Corpus Christi connection, it seems an earlier Duke of Norfolk experienced Carpet of Flowers celebrations for CC on a visit to Italy and thought he would do something similar at home. I hadn't done anything like that for years - and quite enjoyed it once I realised that the loudspeaker system actually worked.
blackthorn fairy

I meant to add too, JW, that the flowers have not taken over from Our Lord - we started with full sung Mass before setting off on the prcession and finished with Benedition back in the cathedral. I don't usually go in for this sort of thing, but ended up enjoying it in spite of myself. And people were singing well in the procession, so they must have been enjoying it too.
JW

Post by JW »

Third line of the third verse of 'Now watch for God's coming' by Willard Jabusch as in 'Laudate':

Their arms shall be broken, no refuge they'll see :shock:

(You need the context for the real meaning!)
JW
musicus

Post by musicus »

Ouch!

(This thread runs and runs, it seems :D )
blog
John Ainslie

Post by John Ainslie »

A friend of mine who came to the Mass at St John's Wood last Saturday spotted this typo in the CTS 'Brick' Daily Missal (p. 3132):

...Making a whip out of some chord, he drove them all out of the temple...

The lost chord? A (very) flat minor? Dischord or discord?
musicus

Post by musicus »

Hang on a mo', John: on page ii of my CTS Daily Missal I read "Concordat cum originali: ******/John Ainslie"

Isn't that Latin for "proofread by"? :D
blog
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

:D :D
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

musicus wrote:Hang on a mo', John: on page ii of my CTS Daily Missal I read "Concordat cum originali: ******/John Ainslie"

Isn't that Latin for "proofread by"? :D

I suspect that relates only to Missal texts, not to scriptural ones as in the case cited. :|
John Ainslie

Post by John Ainslie »

Image I wasn't responsible for the concordat for this part of the Missal. In any case the job of the concordat'ers is not to duplicate the work of the publisher's proof-readers. In the case of the readings, it was not clear just what source the publishers were using for their script and how reliable it was: we could do no more than check that the right readings were there.