A year on, what are we singing?

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Alan
Parish / Diocese: Holy Redeemer Pershore [Birmingham Archdiocese]

Re: A year on, what are we singing?

Post by Alan »

I agree too. My first setting of the new texts - the Pershore Mass - was not as varied as it might have been in its use of thematic material, and a mix and match approach would be both understandable and effective. (In fact, while the new Laudate prints the entire setting, the new Celebration for Everyone gives just the Glory to God.)

OTOH, my later settings - St Kenelm (Decani) & St Joseph (publishing shortly) - both use the following schema:

1. Lord, Have Mercy & Lamb of God have material in common.
2. The Glory to God is stand-alone.
3. The Holy, Holy, Holy, the Eucharistic Acclamations, and the Doxology/Amen are unified.

I think this approach facilitates mix and match as well as using the entire setting. As a composer, I'm just happy that people find some of my stuff useful! I'm not too fussed about how they use it.
Howard Baker
Parish / Diocese: Hexham and Newcastle

Post by Howard Baker »

Several references here to Mass of St Rita. Could some kind person send me some details? (I've Googled it and have found one such by John Wilkins mentioned on the Roman Missal website, but can't find any other details.)
JW

Post by JW »

Howard, have sent you a PM.
JW
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

justMary wrote:Can you tell us which one the congregation likes?

Warrington Gloria – here and very rough live recording here.
Alan
Parish / Diocese: Holy Redeemer Pershore [Birmingham Archdiocese]

Post by Alan »

Decani have now published a separate edition of my Pershore Mass which, I am happy to say, corrects the typesetting errors that crept into the Laudate Supplement and the revised edition of Laudate. I expect it will take a while for the Decani website to catch up, but the copies are available now. The full music octavo is the one to get for cantor, choir and organist. There is also a melody/guitar edition and a People's Card. If you already have Glory to God (Decani), the version in there is complete and accurate (which it ought to be, as I typeset it). The Glory to God is also available in the Celebration for Everyone Mass music supplement, and that too is accurate.