Easter Vigil

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

John Ainslie

Re: EASTER VIGIL

Post by John Ainslie »

Hare wrote:What time are people starting this year?

Sunset in London is at 18.31 (i.e. before the clocks change). Starting at 19.30 or later would ensure comparative darkness. No excuse this year!

It must be emphasised that the Easter Vigil is to take place at night. It is not an evening event. Isn't 19.30 too early to be 'night'?
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Yes, it is a little early. But around here, we know from experience, that if we start any later than 8pm the church will be empty.
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Post by Hare »

Here. someone has to be around at 18.00 to explain why the usual Saturday evening mass isn't happening!
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

John Ainslie wrote:
Hare wrote:What time are people starting this year?

Sunset in London is at 18.31 (i.e. before the clocks change). Starting at 19.30 or later would ensure comparative darkness. No excuse this year!

It must be emphasised that the Easter Vigil is to take place at night. It is not an evening event. Isn't 19.30 too early to be 'night'?

The spirit behind the rubric is that the Vigil takes place in darkness, so 7:30pm this year will be fine for that. Two years ago, when Easter was almost as late as it can be, I was present at a Vigil which began with the blessing of the new fire outside at 8:00pm — in broad daylight! (Sunset was a little after 8pm.) It felt very strange.
FrGareth
Parish / Diocese: Sion Community for Evangelism (Brentwood)

Re: Easter Vigil

Post by FrGareth »

We're going for 7.30 in Easternmost Cardiff City... in a new parish, and with the clocks not yet turned, and no initiatiations, it's a perfect excuse to invite the new parish to experience all 9 readings for the first time!
><>
Revd Gareth Leyshon - Priest of the Archdiocese of Cardiff (views are my own)
Personal website: http://www.garethleyshon.info
Blog: http://catholicpreacher.wordpress.com/