Carols at Midnight Mass

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Re: Carols at Midnight Mass

Post by Hare »

Southern Comfort wrote:Is anyone doing the Arthur Oldham setting of Remember, O thou man this year? Wonderful piece!

Don't know it, but it would have to be something extra special to beat Ravenscroft's setting which we did at our Carol Service.
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

"Protestant"

Not entirely off topic, but I read somewhere that Amazing Grace is not wholly in keeping with the teaching of the Roman Catholic Church. It's interesting to discover that some hymns are at odds with catholic doctrine and teaching. Is this something that we could look at and clarify in another thread perhaps?

Just a thought.

Nadolig Llawen i chi gyd.
Gwyn.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Hare wrote:
Southern Comfort wrote:Is anyone doing the Arthur Oldham setting of Remember, O thou man this year? Wonderful piece!

Don't know it, but it would have to be something extra special to beat Ravenscroft's setting which we did at our Carol Service.

It is extra special!

Happy Christmas!
justMary
Parish / Diocese: Republic of Ireland

Post by justMary »

Just reading this now, a little later than most :D

It wasn't my choice, but we ended our vigil Mass (very few midnights here in the Irish republic) with ... wait for it ... Silent Night.

We only had a particularly weak keyboard player, so had to give her a lot of freedom re what to do, and she says that most of the parishes around here end the same way. So we did, and despite my misgivings re the tone / pace / sense of joy, it went well. Everyone sang and no one bleated that Mass was too long and we should sing less. Granted it wasn't you usual slow reflective Silent Night, more a strong solid one, but it worked.