Theology

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Theology

Post by organist »

In my recent reading I have been looking at Christianity and Buddhism. Paul Knitter makes a strong case for a change in thinking in "Without Buddha I could not be a Christian". In particular we need to get away from a dualist position with God out there somewhere.Many of our saints have seen that God is within us. What does the whole idea of the Body of Christ mean if not that the Spirit of Jesus is within us. The idea of a judgmental Father condemning his Son to death is increasingly repellent. Some of the preaching we hear needs to be looked at very carefully in this regard.
nazard
Parish / Diocese: Clifton

Re: Theology

Post by nazard »

Humph!

You have a rather gloomy view of God. I was always taught that God is everywhere, not out there. That includes within us. We have free will, so we can ignore Him, or even do the opposite of His will, but He will not abandon us. The idea of us being the Body of Christ is us joining together with Christ, who Himself has a close and mysterious (in a theological sense) union with the Father. That union, if we allow it and are receptive to it, will help us to do the Father's will. I don't know where you got the idea of the Father condemning the Son to death from. My understanding is that the Son came voluntarily to earth to bring the message of eternal life. The Father and the Son were in full knowledge that the human race would kill the Son in attempt to destroy the message, but that the Father and the Son accepted that price. That sacrifice added power to the message: teaching by example is always best, and Jesus set us all a very fine example. This sacrifice came about because of the fundamental sinfulness of man, the tendency we have to think that we know better than God Himself. The Original Sin of Adam and Eve was just that: they ignored the will of God and did what they fancied. Jesus followed the procedure for a sin offering precisely because He was offering Himself to overcome our sin.

No doubt I have strayed into heresy somewhere along the line and would welcome correction.
BobHayes
Parish / Diocese: St Mary of the Angels - Diocese of Salford

Post by BobHayes »

organist wrote:In my recent reading I have been looking at Christianity and Buddhism. Paul Knitter makes a strong case for a change in thinking in "Without Buddha I could not be a Christian". In particular we need to get away from a dualist position with God out there somewhere.Many of our saints have seen that God is within us. What does the whole idea of the Body of Christ mean if not that the Spirit of Jesus is within us. The idea of a judgmental Father condemning his Son to death is increasingly repellent. Some of the preaching we hear needs to be looked at very carefully in this regard.

Politely, I suggest you read the Catechism of the Catholic Church: then decide whether you accept or reject what it says.
Bob
alan29

Post by alan29 »

I find the whole idea of redemption/sacrifice/loving Father etc extremely difficult to understand, so I try not to think about it.
It gets very difficult during the Triduum.
Peter Jones
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by Peter Jones »

alan29 wrote:I find the whole idea of redemption/sacrifice/loving Father etc extremely difficult to understand.......

Try Leviticus 16 (Day of Atonement) and the central section of the letter to the Hebrews.
Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Thanks Peter. I know the background, but it still doesn't "work" for me at all. I cannot understand that the death was necessary, and if it wasn't necessary, then it was in some sense gratuitous. So I mentally cover my ears and sing "la, la, la" in my head at the appropriate times.
Peter Jones
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by Peter Jones »

alan29 wrote:Thanks Peter. I know the background, but it still doesn't "work" for me at all.......

OK. I think all I can offer hastily is that without the death there is no resurrection.
Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website
musicus

Post by musicus »

Quite. "Unless a grain of wheat shall fall upon the earth and die..."
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
organist
Parish / Diocese: Westminster cathedral

Post by organist »

Dear nazard It's not me who is so gloomy about God - it's other people! Thanks for the suggestions. :D
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Wrong board etc, I suspect.
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

Could it be we can't possibly understand it? We need the gift of Faith. And it's not always an easy gift to use.
BobHayes
Parish / Diocese: St Mary of the Angels - Diocese of Salford

Post by BobHayes »

VML wrote:Could it be we can't possibly understand it? We need the gift of Faith. And it's not always an easy gift to use.

Most definitely: God and His wonders are beyond human comprehension: is really is a matter of our Faith.
Bob