Preparing the Liturgy

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

liturgyprof

Preparing the Liturgy

Post by liturgyprof »

Apologies to members of the Society for the (very) late arrival of the next issue of Music and Liturgy. It is being proof-read even now.

The pages of Preparing the Liturgy have been extracted and are now accessible from the front page of the SSG website, or from here: http://www.ssg.org.uk/images/ptl_38_03_web.pdf

The Trustees are encouraging us all to use this unusual free availability of Preparing the Liturgy to share it with anyone and everyone who is involved in the preparation of the Liturgy. Please do play whatever part you can in sharing this (just about) early Christmas present from the Society to the Church!

Allen Morris
BobHayes
Parish / Diocese: St Mary of the Angels - Diocese of Salford

Re: Preparing the Liturgy

Post by BobHayes »

Thank you for this information and link - most helpful. :D
Bob
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

Thank you Fr Allen, that's really helpful.

(I see that the planner is still recommending Messiaen's O Magnum Mysterium for Christmas Day. Did he write it posthumously? :-))
quaeritor

Post by quaeritor »

Straying perilously close to the topic edge I note that (having temporarily mislaid my current copy of M & L but recalling previously reading the liturgy planner online) following the sequence HOME > MUSIC AND LITURGY JOURNAL > link in the body of the text to CURRENT ISSUE leads to a display of the issue for February 2011 where there is indeed an onward link to Preparing the liturgy - for that year! However, following the sequence HOME > MUSIC AND LITURGY JOURNAL > LATEST ISSUE (in the Menu on the left) correctly leads to the most recent issue where there is an item in the contents for the Liturgy Planner, but it is no longer a link. :?

Q
quaeritor

Post by quaeritor »

Oh Dear - I just read Musicus's post in splitting the "Periodicals" thread from the "Year of Faith" thread - apologies for the above.

B t w, how do you "quote" from another thread? (Oh dear! - done it again) :oops: :oops:

Q
musicus

Post by musicus »

mcb wrote:Thank you Fr Allen, that's really helpful.

(I see that the planner is still recommending Messiaen's O Magnum Mysterium for Christmas Day. Did he write it posthumously? :-))

O blow! I thought we'd fixed that. It should say O Sacrum Convivium, of course. We are about to make some changes to our modus operandi which should prevent that happening again.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
musicus

Post by musicus »

quaeritor wrote:Oh Dear - I just read Musicus's post in splitting the "Periodicals" thread from the "Year of Faith" thread - apologies for the above.
B t w, how do you "quote" from another thread? (Oh dear! - done it again) :oops: :oops:
Q

No problem with your first post - it's on topic.
One way to quote from other threads is by cutting and pasting, then applying the Quote tab to the pasted text.
blog
mcb

Post by mcb »

musicus wrote:O blow! I thought we'd fixed that. It should say O Sacrum Convivium, of course.

Why O Sacrum for Christmas, then?
Peter Jones
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by Peter Jones »

musicus wrote:O blow! I thought we'd fixed that. It should say O Sacrum Convivium........

OK but lest I am missing something, I can't see anything specifically "Christmas Day" about that text.
Luscious setting though, if you don't know it - here it is with score:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=x0__tgrjTkc
Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website
Peter Jones
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by Peter Jones »

Did you originally mean Poulenc?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VShyqHcWjPY
Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website
John Ainslie

Post by John Ainslie »

quaeritor wrote:Straying perilously close to the topic edge I note that (having temporarily mislaid my current copy of M & L but recalling previously reading the liturgy planner online) following the sequence HOME > MUSIC AND LITURGY JOURNAL > link in the body of the text to CURRENT ISSUE leads to a display of the issue for February 2011 where there is indeed an onward link to Preparing the liturgy - for that year! However, following the sequence HOME > MUSIC AND LITURGY JOURNAL > LATEST ISSUE (in the Menu on the left) correctly leads to the most recent issue where there is an item in the contents for the Liturgy Planner, but it is no longer a link. :?

Q

I have corrected the 'current issue' link. It will be updated to show the contents of the new issue when it is published.

'Preparing the Liturgy' is on this occasion being offered free to everyone as an early Christmas present. Otherwise it is only available to members of the Society of Saint Gregory by subscription.
musicus

Post by musicus »

mcb wrote:
musicus wrote:O blow! I thought we'd fixed that. It should say O Sacrum Convivium, of course.

Why O Sacrum for Christmas, then?

OK. I give up. I was posting from memory. I expect Peter Jones is correct, and that I meant another composer's 'O Magnum Mysterium". Without checking, if Poulenc isn't already mentioned, then that would be who I meant. All four of his motets for Christmastide are wonderful.
blog
mcb

Post by mcb »

musicus wrote:if Poulenc isn't already mentioned, then that would be who I meant. All four of his motets for Christmastide are wonderful.

I second that! You could eat them with a spoon. :-)
musicus

Post by musicus »

mcb wrote:(I see that the planner is still recommending Messiaen's O Magnum Mysterium for Christmas Day. Did he write it posthumously? :-))

Fixed. We have now corrected both the online and the print versions.
blog