Just in case...

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

oopsorganist

Just in case...

Post by oopsorganist »

Cos you never know!

Amateurs might sometimes have experience of applying for grants and funds, admininstering, managing and evaluating a range of projects involving public and charitable funds or even perhaps, qualifications in engineering.

Just so as you know.

Not us all volunteers are without qualifications and experience in a range of fields other than organ thumping. :cry:
uh oh!
oopsorganist

Re: Just in case...

Post by oopsorganist »

Just caring a lot about definitions just now.

So, are you
a an amateur (doing something as a pastime, a hobby)
b a volunteer (doing something without pay, but they tell us, with the same constraints as paid worker minus the pay)
c professional (doing something with pay/doing something because you have ethical base for your work)

You may add your own categories if you want to ..
and then we can discuss this with regard to the post of musician/ music bod/ organist/ choir leader etc with reference to your own concerns
uh oh!
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Post by HallamPhil »

Have I missed something? Am I alone in being unable to make head or tail of this? If not, then perhaps a little more clarity is required, I'm afraid.
johnquinn39
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by johnquinn39 »

I've heard that a 'just in Casey' is a euphamism in Ireland.

But I can't remember what for, or what bishop of yesteryear it referred to.

Can anyone help me out on this?
Dom Perignon
Parish / Diocese: SSG Moderator

Post by Dom Perignon »

I have asked Oops for a bit of clarification here, so please wait for a bit...
Forum Moderator
promusica
Parish / Diocese: Ashbourne Meath Ireland

Post by promusica »

Just in Casey - I haven't heard that one for around fifteen years. In 1992, reports broke that the then Bishop of Galway, Casey, had fathered a child. Quick as ever, the Irish witticism was that he should have used "Just in Caseys", a euphemism for contraceptives.
musicus

Post by musicus »

Thanks, Dom Perignon. You beat me to it.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
JW

Post by JW »

Is Oops' orginal post to do with who is professional/amateur/volunteer in the organ world? I would suggest these distinctions are saddled with baggage to do with class and that we are much better off being referred to as 'music ministers' whether paid or otherwise?

For most people, even cathedral organists, music ministry is only one of a myriad of jobs they do.
JW
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

Thanks JW that did help me think why I am in a muddle. Things that have happened during this last week have made me think about all these classifications -

So then it is much better to get rid of all that kind of thought and get back to Musical Ministry (for which I am barely fit but have Induction and Supervision from this Society if you want to think of it like that) which can include all sorts of things associated with music which I may or may not be capable of.

I am oblique because sh! you never know who is reading! :lol: I think I have a fan club! :D
uh oh!
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

oopsorganist wrote:

I am oblique because sh! you never know who is reading! :lol: I think I have a fan club! :D

Oh you do, oops, definitely! :D
justMary
Parish / Diocese: Republic of Ireland

Post by justMary »

Well when it comes to church, I am an amateur who does things voluntarily, but I like to think that I have an ethical (and theological!) base for what I do.

And thanks to our local bus service (about which I a professional information provider), I am not a member of the parish whose church-building is sometimes known as "Casey's last erection".