Bishop Arthur Roche - Vatican Appointment

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Peter Jones
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Bishop Arthur Roche - Vatican Appointment

Post by Peter Jones »

Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website
musicus

musicus

Post by musicus »

I don't know enough about him to comment, but it is a tantalising question as to whether this appointment is in any way related to the clumsy English translation of RM3 and the shenanigans that accompanied it.
Last edited by musicus on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: musicus
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
alan29

Re: musicus

Post by alan29 »

musicus wrote:I don't know enough about him to comment, but it is a tantalising question as to whether this appointment is in any way related to the clumsy English translation of RM3 and the shenanigans that accompanied it.

You waouldn't be suggesting a pat on the back, surely. :mrgreen:
JW

Re: Bishop Arthur Roche - Vatican Appointment

Post by JW »

I don't think anyone should be surprised or shocked that people with proven records of faithfully carrying out curial initiatives are promoted. All the evidence points to the conclusion that the principal requirement for advancement at the moment is to be a reliable, safe, pair of hands.

It does lead me to wonder, given the decrease in European clergy and expansion in Latin American and African clergy, why so many caucasians are being appointed to curial jobs. Assuming Bishop Roche was a good Bishop of Leeds, his appointment to Rome reduces still further the pool of good men available for English dioceses and we are now supposed to be a missionary territory.

Actually a quick troll of the internet makes me suspect there are lots of episcopal vacancies worldwide http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/bishop/bvacant.html and, presumably, Cardinal Cormac Murphy O'Connor is at least partly responsible for that state of affairs?

To take the Cardinal completely out of context: It suits them to have no opposition to their vision of a brave new world, the world which they see as somehow governed only by people like themselves: this is actually a quote from the Cardinal, but in relation to secularist intolerance.
JW
musicus

Post by musicus »

JW wrote:Actually a quick troll of the internet...

I think (I hope) you meant to write trawl. :D
blog
IncenseTom
Parish / Diocese: Diocese of Leeds

Post by IncenseTom »

Does anyone know when he will be likely to take up his new appointment?
I wonder how long Rome has considered this for, and whether at the same time, they have considered a possible replacement? I know that East Anglia are still without a Bishop a year after Bishop Michael Evans passed away. Surely these things could (and should?) happen just a little bit quicker?

I have to say that, whilst I know some people are not all that keen on Bishop Arthur, I have been quite impressed by him on the occasions when I have met him. His secretary is also a really nice guy who I hope is rewarded with a good parish here in the Leeds Diocese.
musicus

Post by musicus »

alan29 wrote:You waouldn't be suggesting a pat on the back, surely. :mrgreen:

Not at all. But it would be good to think that the widespread dissatisfaction with the quality of the English used in the new translation might have influenced Rome's opinion in making this appointment. It won't hurt to have a native English speaker in post when they get around to revising the Lectionary or even, dare I suggest, RM3 itself.
blog
alan29

Post by alan29 »

musicus wrote:
alan29 wrote:You waouldn't be suggesting a pat on the back, surely. :mrgreen:

Not at all. But it would be good to think that the widespread dissatisfaction with the quality of the English used in the new translation might have influenced Rome's opinion in making this appointment. It won't hurt to have a native English speaker in post when they get around to revising the Lectionary or even, dare I suggest, RM3 itself.

...... but wasn't he in charge of promulgating it? Presumably he thinks its just fine.
NorthernTenor
Parish / Diocese: Southwark

Post by NorthernTenor »

Oh dear - I'm afraid his administrative and managerial track record bodes ill for the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments.
Ian Williams
Alium Music
old barmaid

Post by old barmaid »

Another concern must be his health. He cancelled most Diocesan engagements over the
winter while he recovered from a nasty bout of pneumonia. I understand that he is still
not completely out of the wood. Perhaps the climate chenge might help.
It is to be hoped that Leeds gets a bishop who is able to cope with the Diocesan
bureaucracy including the appalling Property Department.

What an opportunity to reunite Yorkshire into one Diocese. There are too many in England and Wales. It could start by joining Leeds and Middlesbrough together under Bishop Drainey.
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

No doubt his reward for accepting without question all those changes which Rome made to the work carried out under his chairmanship of ICEL.

old barmaid wrote:What an opportunity to reunite Yorkshire into one Diocese... It could start by joining Leeds and Middlesbrough together under Bishop Drainey.

And there must be a thought somewhere about the long term future for Hallam
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Aren't the Anglicans discussing something similar in Yorkshire?
jonathaneyre
Parish / Diocese: Seminarian St Johns Wonersh

Post by jonathaneyre »

The idea has certainly been thrown around a little amongst the Clergy, although at this point there is nothing concrete.

I'll be interested to see what happens.

Jonathan
(Seminarian for the Diocese of Hallam)
Jonathan P. Eyre
Assistant Director of Music
Bradford Cathedral
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

See?
This is what happens when you plan "Dear Saviour Bless us 'ere we go" as music for a season.

(Tries to avoid thoughts about earwig football even though the World Cup is on......)
uh oh!
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

There has been a pneumonia epidemic in Leeds this winter and spring.
uh oh!