New Organ in Church again

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

New Organ in Church again

Post by presbyter »

Many topics ago, there was a bit of a grumpy discussion about a certain new electronic/digital organ in a certain cathedral north of the Trent.

I have received a CD of the instrument today from the manufacturer. It sounds very well. I do not know if the CD is available to the general public but if it is, it's worth a few pounds for those interested in hearing how far digital technology has come along.

With the permission of another board member, I'll post the title of the CD.
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

We wait in joyful hope. . .

What species/breed of digital organ is it btw?
Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

Given the standard of modern digital technology and the cost of pipe organs will be ever be able to condone the massive cost of pipes again?

One of the churches I work in has a magnificent 3-manual from the mid-19th century. It will cost £200,000 to restore – which I suspect we will never raise. And if we managed it, could that sort of expenditure be condoned in a deprived inner-city area?

I expect there'll be differing opinions on this one.
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

The organ on the CD is a custom-built Makin.
presbyter

Post by presbyter »

Sorry to say the CD is not commercially available :(
musicus

Website

Post by musicus »

presbyter wrote:Sorry to say the CD is not commercially available :(

... but there is a selection of mp3s, probably derived from that same CD, on Makin's website: http://www.makinorgans.co.uk

Musicus
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Re: Website

Post by mcb »

musicus wrote:...probably derived from that same CD...

Yep, those are from the CD. I wrote about the organ a year or so ago for Music and Liturgy. If anyone missed it and would like to see it, I'll be happy to send the text of the article if you let me have your e-mail address.

To answer Merseysider's question, we had to think long and hard about the merits of pipe organs versus digital imitations, and, evidently, concluded that the digital instrument was the right thing to go for. Maybe the decision would have been different if it had been a question of conserving a 'heritage' instrument, but as it was, the pipe organ dated from 1950 and was not a thing of beauty. The consultant who advised us initially on what to do with our pipe organ said the best thing to do was to scrap it and build a new one. I imagine he meant a new pipe organ! :) But the difference in cost between pipe and digital seemed compelling, given that we too are in a deprived inner-city area (Salford), and the Diocese had recently committed itself to a 'Covenant with the Poor'. (That's an abridged version of the article!)

If you're curious, you'd be most welcome to come and listen or play. Drop me a line to fix a date.

Martin.