The 'official' Magnificat

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

johnquinn39
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

The 'official' Magnificat

Post by johnquinn39 »

The small choir I sing in have been asked to sing a setting of the above next Tuesday.

Is there such a thing?

The nearest I can find is in one of the old Gelineau books -- one is RP style & one has lots
of Alleluias.

Any ideas?

John Quinn
(Gedackt flute)
JW

Re: The 'official' Magnificat

Post by JW »

John,

Prior to Vatican II, the Latin Magnificat was sung every day in monasteries and convents as part of the Office. I haven't a copy to hand but I think the Liber Usualis has a setting for each of the 8 modes. One of them is here, but the notation is printed incorrectly, though they are singing the correct tone (they aren't singing what is notated at the cadences).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXub6v3e8-Y

I suspect others on this forum can give you more help than this.

John Wilkins
JW
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

Do you mean a setting of the 'official' text or a setting of the 'official' text using the 'official' tune?

I'm not sure either exist, though the text in the Office (at least the M&E Prayer I have) and Lectionary is Grail (but, I think, different versions (nothingness vs lowliness.))

There is a Gelineau setting of the Grail text which is to be found (among other places) in Laudate 23 or HO&N 661. I am familiar with singing this (sans response) for EP.
Psalite also sets Grail, though I find the refrain is used too frequently and disrupts the sense of the text.

Moving away from an 'official' text, there's everything from here through to 'Tell out my Soul'
Terry Quinn
Parish / Diocese: St John the Baptist RC. Burnley

Post by Terry Quinn »

johnquinn39 wrote:The small choir I sing in have been asked to sing a setting of the above next Tuesday.

Is there such a thing?

The nearest I can find is in one of the old Gelineau books -- one is RP style & one has lots
of Alleluias.

Any ideas?

John Quinn
(Gedackt flute)

From one Quinn to another,
I recently saw a copy of a 'rather pretty' version. Title: "My Soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord", words by Christopher Idle, music: Norman Warren. There is a voice line with keyboard accomp.If you are able to track it down your singers would pick it up much faster than the Gelineau setting and it is 'pretty'
Terry Quinn
alan29

Post by alan29 »

I found this resource
http://www.drgareth.info/IPC.pdf
I can vouch for "My soul is filled with joy" - it's to an Irish tune, too :D