Hymnbook recommendations?

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

TimSharrock

Hymnbook recommendations?

Post by TimSharrock »

In my large parish we currently use Laudate.

We have wondered about buying the Laudate supplement for the new Mass setting etc, but have decided that handling a separate volume would be too complicated (particularly in the tight changeover between the two main Masses).

We are therefore considering replacing our current Laudate with the new pew edition (The Choirs and Music group can manage with supplements as the numbers are much smaller). Before we commit to this, we would like to check if anyone would like to recommend any alternative hymnals.

Any Thoughts?

thanks

Tim
alan29

Re: Hymnbook recommendations?

Post by alan29 »

We used to have the Celebration Hymnal for Everyone, until a new priest decided to summarily ditch it in favour of Jubilate.
In terms of typesetting and legibility it was a retrograde step. CFE is beautifully produced. In terms of repertoire Jubilate seems to be more organ-based. And CFE is arranged alphabetically - again something that I prefer as I am more than capable of making appropriate choices.
Might be worth getting an inspection copy?
TimSharrock

Post by TimSharrock »

thanks, I will pass this, and all suggestions on :D
nazard
Parish / Diocese: Clifton

Post by nazard »

alan29 wrote:... ditch it in favour of Jubilate.

What is Jubilate? I've never heard of it.

alan29 wrote:...In terms of typesetting and legibility it was a retrograde step. CFE is beautifully produced. ...

It must be pretty bad then. CfE is tiny print and with its share of typos, and a strong tendency to low keys which make things sound dismal.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

I meant of course "Laudate."
Mental Latin Thesaurus in overdrive. :oops:
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Mental Latin Thesaurus in overdrive

Chortle and snigger.
kerrezza
Parish / Diocese: Southwark

Post by kerrezza »

We too use Celebration Hymnal for Everyone. New pp asked me to look at Laudate as used in his last parish but I didn't think it was as user friendly and found several hymns completely unrecognisable from the versions I've sung by rote for years due to being degenderised and all references to power and might being rewritten. That said, I much prefer the new Laudate supplement to the CHfE one.
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

kerrezza wrote:That said, I much prefer the new Laudate supplement to the CHfE one.
Not sure I would buy pew editions of either supplement. Few parishes use more than six or seven sets of Eucharistic Acclamations, for example. Not sure why they're included in hymnals at all.
kerrezza
Parish / Diocese: Southwark

Post by kerrezza »

Nick, only the choir has them and I don't think that we will get pew editions.
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Not sure I would buy pew editions of either supplement. Few parishes use more than six or seven sets of Eucharistic Acclamations, for example. Not sure why they're included in hymnals at all.

Good point Nick.
festivaltrumpet

Post by festivaltrumpet »

Nick Baty wrote: Few parishes use more than six or seven sets of Eucharistic Acclamations, for example. Not sure why they're included in hymnals at all.

For many the material between the covers of the parish hymnal is the entire corpus of music which may be sung in the Church. Removing the Ordinary of the Mass from that location is a way to ensure that it returns to being spoken.
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Post by Hare »

Any further thoughts on this please anyone? I have obtained inspection copies of Laudate and the revised CFE. I have a meeting with PP next week to decide which to go for, and have my own views and would be interested to see if there are any further views raised here that coincide with mine...
TimSharrock

Post by TimSharrock »

we have made no decision yet....
Alan
Parish / Diocese: Holy Redeemer Pershore [Birmingham Archdiocese]

Post by Alan »

I have bought copies of the new edition of Laudate (though we have no plans to update the congregational copies). In many ways it is a handsome and useful production, and it would still be my first choice. However, by no means all of the first edition's typos have been eliminated, nor is all of the new music therein totally correct. For example, there are some regrettable and egregious errors in the organ part of my own Pershore Mass. If anyone has bought this new edition and would like a correct version of this Mass setting, email me at alanpsmith AT mac DOT com and I will send you a PDF.