Choirs v Congregations

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Merseysider

Post by Merseysider »

Or London, or Durham or several other places...

And, no, it isn't.

No priest can get everything 100 per cent "right" – else he'd be canonised before the egg mayonnaise had dried up after his ordination party.

Great, some of them will follow every rubric perfectly and celebrate an uninspiring liturgy. Otherwise will mess it up. Some will make mistakes but do so wonderfully.

Yes, I hope my priest has taken on board as much theory as possible but I'm far more interested his ability to help people journey towards God.
Last edited by Merseysider on Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

Well I'm sorry if you think I've made an inappropriate and arrogant comment - all I'm saying is that I find it very sad that a celebrant can think it appropriate to interrupt the post-communion silence which leads into the post-communion prayer with the parish notices. Of course, the celebrant is there "in the person of Christ" to lead people to God but, in my opinion, if he's going to lessen the force of that prayer by diverting the minds of the faithful towards (for example) the barn dance on Tuesday of that week, then he's distracted them from Him who we have received and the prayer which will pray we will respond to His presence within us.

Having just read this entire thread for the first time, we do seem to have become a bit grumpy. Might I suggest we return to one of its initial themes: "active participation"? Perhaps look at paragraph 10 of the Constitution again and what God is trying to do for us in the celebration of the liturgy and then, the essence of active participation, which is enabling all present to offer themselves consciously and totally with, in and through Christ to the Father. What are good ways of both celebrant and choir achieving that? How can we best serve God and his people?
sidvicius

Post by sidvicius »

sort of inclined to agree there - I've always felt that notices have their place - and the mass isn't it. but that's a topic for a different thread.

As for choirs v Congregations, this has been an interesting if sometimes heated thread. Perhaps it just goes to show how much our local situations differ, in that what suits one person doesn't necessarily suit everyone. However, if one situation isn't fulfilling its purpose, we should be open to other ideas.
Last edited by sidvicius on Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

choirs v congregations

Post by Hare »

Post rmoved by originator; no longer relevant
Last edited by Hare on Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hare

choirs v congregations

Post by Hare »

ps - please someone tell me how this quote thing works! I mess it up everytime!!
contrabordun

Re: choirs v congregations

Post by contrabordun »

Hare wrote:ps - please someone tell me how this quote thing works! I mess it up everytime!!

Easiest way is to start by clicking the quote button in the post you want to quote - don't click "Post Reply".

This brings the whole of that post into a post-a-reply screen, within [qwote] .... [/qwote] delimiters and you can then delete the bits you don't want to quote.
contrabordun

Post by contrabordun »

sidvicius wrote:(five pages back! is that a record?)

for pages, yes. But if this thread has occasionally seemed a little short tempered, it's good to see that - showing a fine sense of priorities - the record for number of posts is held by Late Arrivals at.. :D
Dot

Post by Dot »

Please welcome, and respond to, the wildly flailing arms of Annie Mator,
trying desperately to make the choir and congregation sing as one.

I hope she wasn't a late arrival, or you can forget the opening hymn.
Last edited by Dot on Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hare

Post by Hare »

Hare wrote:Why? Seems spot-on for this topic...

The point to which this comment applied seems to have disappeared from the forum........in which case, admin, mine could go too.

Also, i am sre there was a new post here last night (Sun 7 Nov) which has gone now - or was I dreaming?
musicus

Post by musicus »

Hare wrote:
Hare wrote:Why? Seems spot-on for this topic...

The point to which this comment applied seems to have disappeared from the forum........in which case, admin, mine could go too.

Also, i am sure there was a new post here last night (Sun 7 Nov) which has gone now - or was I dreaming?

Off-topic
No, you weren't. There were several off-topic posts discussing a forum member's request for one of his posts to be removed. I had been uncertain as to the wisdom of this, precisely because to do so might 'orphan' other posts. Nonetheless, having taken advice, I did remove it, along with the discussion, which no longer seemed relevant.

Could we agree to draw a line under this flurry of removals? I'm getting confused, and we could end up throwing the proverbial baby away. :shock:

May I suggest that, if, for any reason, anyone wants to withdraw a post, they edit it themselves, and just leave an explanatory message (e.g. 'withdrawn by poster')? Inevitably, this too will leave posts that quote from it 'hanging', but that's unavoidable.

Musicus - moderator