Future of this Forum - for AGM on Saturday

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Peter Jones
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Future of this Forum - for AGM on Saturday

Post by Peter Jones »

I cannot, at a glance, see any cut-off date for proposals at the AGM next Saturday, so:

In the light of what this forum has become, I make three proposals:

1. That this forum is now shut down.

2. That this forum is restricted to members of the Society of Saint Gregory (and invited guests)

3. That this forum is restricted to members of the Society of Saint Gregory (and invited guests) and that those who post do so under their own names.

Feel free to suggest alternative courses of action.

Anyone who might care to second any of the above proposals, please send me a private message a.s.a.p. Thank you.
Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Re: Future of this Forum - for AGM on Saturday

Post by HallamPhil »

I do think the forum has become a matter of concern but I do not think it needs to be shut down. Those who moderate it can presumably instigate appropriate safeguards and ban those few folk who transgress from contributing. There are not too many contributors and many more 'watchers' in any case!

I do agree about using own names but cannot for the life of me get mine to work!
Peter Jones

Post by Peter Jones »

HallamPhil wrote:There are not too many contributors and many more 'watchers' in any case!

And look at the appalling image of the Society those watchers see. I really do think that this forum, in its present form, is now bringing the Society into disrepute (and the cause of that seems to be postings by non-members). Yes, I'm cross.
Any opinions expressed are my own, not those of the Archdiocese of Birmingham Liturgy Commission, Church Music Committee.
Website
JW

Post by JW »

One of the advantages of this forum used to be that debates tended to be conducted in charity with due consideration for the views and feelings of others. This has changed. Whilst not wanting us to go into an elitist type of huddle, I'm seriously considering giving up contributing, because I don't need to be part of this atmosphere. As Peter says: what message is this forum putting out about the SSG? Is it just another Catholic blog for people with very trenchant views which don't take into account the possibility that they may be mistaken. (Apologies - can't make Leeds on Saturday).

John Wilkins
JW
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Thank you for this thread.
It has reminded me to become a member.
kerrezza
Parish / Diocese: Southwark

Post by kerrezza »

I am not a member of SSG (though I have considered joining) but have been a 'watcher' on this forum for some time. It would be a shame if it closed down completely as I have learned a great deal over the time I have been looking at it, often with frustration when I see all the things that are happening in other contributor's dioceses that are not happening in mine. There are certain posters who I look out for, for their knowledge and support they give to others, and others that I avoid as often I have no idea what they are talking about or they are generally just argumentative (not necessarily the same posters.) I agree that recently some of the posts are disappointing, bordering on a personal slanging match. The Society's motto above appears not to have been much in evidence in these posts.
SOP
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Post by SOP »

I really do not want this forum to be shut down as it is the only Catholic/Christian/Religious forum that I follow.

I am a member and will be at the AGM next week so have a week to think about this proposal.

The humour has been absent from this forum for quite some time. The pseudonyms started as a bit of fun and it is amusing to try and guess who is who. I would reject any proposal that states a member may only sign up to the forum if they used their own name.

The trouble makers would soon get bored if more members actually posted "normal" things. It seems as if every thread is turned into an argument or an opportunity to launch another personal attack on other posters.

So, come on some of you watchers, post simple posts about how things are going in your church, have you got used to the new responses, do you like the Eucharistic Prayers, etc, etc. A forum is only as good as the people who bother to contribute. If those-who-think-they-are-brilliant try and put you down, ignore them or hope another watcher will add another remark.
alan29

Post by alan29 »

To stick to the topic, I am quite happy to be known by name.
The problem with shutting the forum is that there are so few places where it is possible to openly discuss matters of liturgy and music without being denounced as not being sufficiently catholic or loyal, or of being narrowly catholic etc. There are other blogs etc, but so many of them seemed to be fuelled by invective and bitterness - or more recently by vengeful triumphalism. Though I fear it has crept in here too more recently.
Maybe an answer is for more interventionist moderation. There's nothing wrong with a bit of weeding when things are getting beyond reason, or when people are resorting to personal rudeness etc.
musicus

Post by musicus »

I am confident that we will see changes for the better following the AGM on Saturday. There are several ways in which we might weed out the trolling and the invective, thereby restoring both the supportive and friendly atmosphere of this forum and its reputation, and debate at the AGM (and, indeed, on here and by PM) will inform the decision making.

This is a very timely discussion.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
VML
Parish / Diocese: Clifton Diocese

Post by VML »

I have found this forum a huge support and source of information and usually wise discussion.
As with SOP, this is the only forum with any religious connection that I follow, mainly because of the trivial unpleasantness of so many others. Please don't let us go down that route. I do hope we can keep going as a vital support for those doing their best to serve God and their parishes as best they can.

Apologies for my absence from the AGM on Saturday.
from the pews

Post by from the pews »

As a non-member, I would be sad to lose access to the forum. I feel I have learned a great deal about the liturgy from following the threads. Many of the contributions have helped me to understand/cope with the current liturgical changes, often because people have been honest about the problems. Sometimes as a Church we are not very good at combining honesty with charity but this is something which this forum, at its best, has achieved. While it is true that some threads or posts have not been edifying, my experience of the forum is a positive one because
(i) I know a lot more about the liturgy
(ii) I have reflected much more on my role in the liturgy
(iii) I have been heartened by the energy, good will and expertise so many people give to the Church
(iv) I have a deeper sense of how precious the mass is and the importance of seeing mass as God's work in which we are privileged to share
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

Surely the fac that 8000 people have viewed the first two topics is enough to justify and warrant this forum and to encourage us that people associate the SSG with helpful and wise debate and precious information and support.

I would not like to see it abandoned or for that matter, censored. Moderation is pretty keen and fair.

The society is only human and the views of the forum are the views of individual humans. I usually manage to self edit out, bits that are silly, and bits that are dull too.

We have a sometimes lonely job and need the support of this forum. Compared to the forums which teachers frequent, the spats on this board are really quite mild.
uh oh!
oopsorganist

Post by oopsorganist »

Also
I like the anonymity of other users. When I meet people in the flesh I don't like that meeting to be bogged down with pre formed opinions that I have formed of them from their posts. Then there is no baggage which makes for good relationships.
uh oh!
Peter Jones

Post by Peter Jones »

oopsorganist wrote: Moderation is pretty keen and fair.
But moderation is done on a purely voluntary basis by two people who lead busy lives and who cannot keep an eye on what is posted 24/7. Yesterday's nonsense would have been nipped in the bud if a moderator had seen it beginning but I know that one of the moderators had no internet connection yesterday and the other was out in the real world and could not connect until late in the day. We cannot impose a heavy burden on the moderators who undertake this task out of their good will and love of the Society and its aims. Spare a thought - many thoughts - for them.
Website
Peter Jones

Post by Peter Jones »

from the pews wrote:As a non-member, I would be sad to lose access to the forum. I feel I have learned a great deal about the liturgy from following the threads.

Why not become a member then, FTP? You'd have access to the forum - if this becomes a facility for members only - and learn even more by receiving Music and Liturgy. Some really good articles in the present edition. Membership costs 58 pence per week.
Website