What's going well?

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

musicus

musicus

Post by musicus »

Gwyn wrote:
(I loathed 'One bread, one body' when I first heard it!)

What? Only then?
:lol:

First! (as they used to say on some forums) Well done, Gwyn :)
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
nazard
Parish / Diocese: Clifton

Re: What's going well?

Post by nazard »

Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6xIdDYiA9A
alan29

Post by alan29 »

I actually love it - Didache, I think. Excellent words and struggling to think of another setting.
But it doesn't have to be done in that super-wet manner, ..... see my previous comments about the feminisation of our music during the last 100 years or so.
keitha

Post by keitha »

Having now listened to a few renditions of YouTube, I am rather taken with it when it is properly arranged, 'performed' by a good soloist with quality backing etc. However, as a congregational item to be sung at Holy Mass I do not think it 'works', having heard it often.
Keith Ainsworth
FrGareth
Parish / Diocese: Sion Community for Evangelism (Brentwood)

Post by FrGareth »

JW wrote:John Bell's 'For All The Saints Who've Shown Your Love' to 'O Waly Waly - which I still associate with Terry Pratchett, rather than a Somerset folk song!

Crivens!
><>
Revd Gareth Leyshon - Priest of the Archdiocese of Cardiff (views are my own)
Personal website: http://www.garethleyshon.info
Blog: http://catholicpreacher.wordpress.com/
Gedackt flute
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by Gedackt flute »

Gwyn wrote:

What? Only then?

To be honest, I have never particularly liked it.

However, in my role as parish music assistant, the tastes of the people I serve are what matters, not my own preferences.

This is one of the few communion antiphons that people will actually sing. It has a good organ part, and also works very well on guitar. It is sung at quite a brisk pace at the 10.00 Mass.
Gedackt flute
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by Gedackt flute »

MaryR wrote:
Nick Baty wrote:I presume that when it's not sung it's... well, it's just not there.

Not so, I'm afraid. When it's not sung, it's just said!

This is my experience at most masses - the Alleluia is recited (badly).

It is strange that liturgy is such a cinderella in the Roman church.
Calum Cille
Parish / Diocese: Earra-Ghaidheal s na h-Eileanan - Argyll and the Isles

Post by Calum Cille »

In Corpag Chliste parish, sometimes whoever read would indeed say and not sing the alleluia, which meant most people would have joined in by the time the acclamation had started and they would finish by speaking the final alleluia too.
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

Re "One Bread, one Body"
This is one of the few communion antiphons that people will actually sing. It has a good organ part, and also works very well on guitar. It is sung at quite a brisk pace at the 10.00 Mass.

Indeed. We use it buut at a good lick. I@m tormented by the image of squeezing the last piece of toothpaste out of the tube when it comes to those long, seven (or is it eight) beat line-end notes.

Sing up!
alan29

Post by alan29 »

Gedackt flute wrote:
Gwyn wrote:

What? Only then?

To be honest, I have never particularly liked it.

However, in my role as parish music assistant, the tastes of the people I serve are what matters, not my own preferences.

I always relish the reference to "Nights in white satin" in the verses. Do I resist the temptation to allude to it when accompanying? ....... Not often, I'm afraid.
musicus

Post by musicus »

alan29 wrote:I always relish the reference to "Nights in white satin" in the verses. Do I resist the temptation to allude to it when accompanying? ....... Not often, I'm afraid.

:D I never spotted that! I will definitely incorporate an allusion next time I play it.

But we are wandering again...
blog
Calum Cille
Parish / Diocese: Earra-Ghaidheal s na h-Eileanan - Argyll and the Isles

Post by Calum Cille »

musicus wrote:
alan29 wrote:I always relish the reference to "Nights in white satin" in the verses.

:D I never spotted that!

Perhaps you didn't see me drawing attention to it on a previous thread ...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1173&start=15
SOP
Parish / Diocese: Salford

Post by SOP »

I am glad to hear the priests singing more. Sometimes it can be a bit ropey but I applaud them for singing it anyway.

Nick seems to be amazed that the Alleluia is not sung every time - in my experience it is very rarely sung outside of the Sunday Mass with the choir there. Worse than that, the reader will often say "and now stand for the Alleluia". My training as a reader was "if it is not in the lectionary, you do not say it. If it is in red in the lectionary, you do not say it".

I managed to say the "Lord I am not worthy..." all the way through without reading from the missalette!!! Yay!
musicus

Post by musicus »

Well done, SOP!

And my experience of said Alleluias is completely in accord with yours.

Another annoyance is when readers tell us that "The first reading is a reading..." or, more subtly, read the 'helpful' summary line with which some Sunday Missals introduce the readings.
blog
kerrezza
Parish / Diocese: Southwark

Post by kerrezza »

We have yet to sing any of the new Mass settings. I have, so far, taught the choir the Missal chants, parts of the Belmont Mass and some of Nick Baty's acclamations in anticipation of being instructed to do so. The congregation are mostly glued to their Mass sheets but there are still a few saying "and also with you" and "it is right to give him thanks and praise". The Alleluia is (almost) always sung here, even at weekday Masses.