The Archbishop of Cardiff

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

Mithras
Parish / Diocese: St Peter Cardiff

The Archbishop of Cardiff

Post by Mithras »

George Stack, currently an auxiliary bishop in Westminster, has just been announced as the new Archbishop of Cardiff.

M
FrGareth
Parish / Diocese: Sion Community for Evangelism (Brentwood)

Re: The Archbishop of Cardiff

Post by FrGareth »

Bishop George is to be installed as Archbishop of Cardiff on Mon 20 June (restricted invitations - our Cathedral is small) but is celebrating Vespers in the Cathedral at 3 p.m. on Sun 19 June, which I think is to be open to everyone who wants to come.

The most comprehensive bio of the new Archbishop at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Stack

FrGareth
><>
Revd Gareth Leyshon - Priest of the Archdiocese of Cardiff (views are my own)
Personal website: http://www.garethleyshon.info
Blog: http://catholicpreacher.wordpress.com/
Gwyn
Parish / Diocese: Archdiocese of Cardiff

Post by Gwyn »

He's got his work cut out.

It'd be great if he'd close the cathedral and sell the land for development There's no parish there as such now, it seems to function mainly as a mass centre for weekday shoppers.

St. Peter's could then be raised to cathedral status.

Viola !
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

FrGareth wrote:The most comprehensive bio of the new Archbishop at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Stack

Only one line?!

The Vatican announcement of his appointment included this:

His Excellency Mgr George Stack was born in Cork, Ireland, on 9 May 1946. In 1951 his family settled in London. He completed his studies at St Aloysius College, Highgate. He was admitted as a seminarian to St Edmund's College, Ware, and was ordained a priest for the Archdiocese of Westminster on 21 May 1972. After ordination he obtained a B. Ed. at St Mary's College, Strawberry Hill.

During his years as assistant priest at Hanwell and Wood Green, he was the chaplain both to St Bernard's Hospital in Southall and Cardinal Wiseman School in Greenford. Then in 1983 he became Parish Priest at Our Lady Help of Christians in Kentish Town.

From 1990 to 1993 he was a Vicar General of the Archdiocese of Westminster. From 1993 to 2001 he was Administrator of the Metropolitan Cathedral of Westminster.

On 12 April 2001 he was named Titular Bishop of Gemelle in Numidia and an Auxliary of Westminster and was consecrated on 10 May following.

Gwyn wrote:It'd be great if he'd close the cathedral and sell the land for development There's no parish there as such now, it seems to function mainly as a mass centre for weekday shoppers.

It must be one of the few Catholic cathedrals in England and Wales that has no public lavatory. Those in M&S next door are the only available facility.

Gwyn wrote:Viola !

A Shakespearean reference, no doubt. :D
Gwyn

Post by Gwyn »

S.C. noted
It must be one of the few Catholic cathedrals in England and Wales that has no public lavatory. Those in M&S next door are the only available facility.
Doesn't need one, the only people going to the princple Sunday Mass are the parents of the kids who sing in the choir (unless things have chaed drastically since I was last there. I won't hold my breath).

Gwyn wrote:
Viola !

S.C. mused
A Shakespearean reference, no doubt.

Chortle.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Gwyn wrote:S.C. noted
Doesn't need one, the only people going to the princple Sunday Mass are the parents of the kids who sing in the choir (unless things have chaed drastically since I was last there. I won't hold my breath).

My spies tell me that indeed it does need one, for big diocesan occasions if nothing else.
Gwyn

Post by Gwyn »

S.C. suggested;
My spies tell me that indeed it does need one, for big diocesan occasions if nothing else.

St. Peter's has at least one that I'm aware of. Big diocesan occasions?
Nick Baty
Parish / Diocese: Formerly Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, Liverpool

Post by Nick Baty »

Rite of Election?
Chrism Mass?
musicus

Post by musicus »

Since we are now spectacularly off-topic (Archbishop of Cardiff - remember him?), I will deal this thread a merciful blow.

If anyone wishes to continue the discussion about cathedral toilets, please start a new thread,

(On second thoughts, please don't.)
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog