God's Spirit is in my heart

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

johnmac
Parish / Diocese: WESTMINSTER

God's Spirit is in my heart

Post by johnmac »

Hi,

Does anyone happen to know if an "interesting" arrangement of this hymn exists other than the one in countless hymn books? Perhaps an interesting post 70's descant? - SOMETHING - ANYTHING!! Please!
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Re: God's Spirit is in my heart

Post by HallamPhil »

And does anyone sing the rhythm as written at the end of the verse?
docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

Post by docmattc »

HallamPhil wrote:And does anyone sing the rhythm as written at the end of the verse?

I think I once heard it played as written, but everyone singing ignored the accompaniment.
I managed to not hear it over four years (it was on my 'banned' list in Sheffield) but its sadly alive and well down here.
nazard
Parish / Diocese: Clifton

Post by nazard »

HallamPhil wrote:And does anyone sing the rhythm as written at the end of the verse?

Yes - I do, well, actually I play it. The common practice of putting fermata on those last notes to my mind wrecks the whole rhythm. I am with the doc on this one, I only play it when I am forced to.

The little darlings in our parish love to sing "He has called me and taught me to ****." I leave the verb they use to your imagination.
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

nazard wrote:The little darlings in our parish love to sing "He has called me and taught me to ****." I leave the verb they use to your imagination.

Given the unconscionable extremes of tessitura expected in what is - in my opinion - one the poorest compositional offerings of hymnic art, ever - I suggest that all that most "little darlings" can indeed do, upon being faced with the initiatory monotonic profundity of each stanza - is indeed produce a sonic simulacrum of a **** . (You gather that this is on my banned list too.) :D
blackthorn fairy
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Wellingborough Northamptonshire

Post by blackthorn fairy »

On my banned list too... Nuff said.
Reginald

Post by Reginald »

No need to declare an interest as it's fairly obvious from previous posts.

Two things:- given that most of the hymns at Mass are replacements of scriptural texts this hymn at least has the benefit of being very profoundly scriptural - I'd ban the pious poetry and miscellaneous "gathering-y in bread we offer all that we" hymns before I banned this. More importantly - it should only be played on organs that have big wobblers :twisted: I generally use the same intro for GSIIMH as for 'Delilah' and thereafter treat it like a Lilac Waltz. I never pay any attention to anything other than the broad outline of the harmony and just have fun with it...think my namesake and a well-known Ballroom...

Learned at HJR's funeral that he never intended for it to be a congregational hymn. Bert used it catechetically and the initial string of low As were comfortable for him - he was apparently permanently puzzled that any congregation would want to sing anything other than the refrain...the harmony too was no more nor less than what he could successfully pick out to accompany himself.
presbyter
Parish / Diocese: youknowalready

Post by presbyter »

Reginald wrote:No need to declare an interest as it's fairly obvious from previous posts.

Two things:- given that most of the hymns at Mass are replacements of scriptural texts this hymn at least has the benefit of being very profoundly scriptural

Thank you Reginald for this illumination. I agree that the text has a firm foundation in Sacred Scripture and I have no objections at all to it. Perhaps, in the light of your valuable comments, this illustrates how dumb editors of hymnals have been (and continue to be?) in not respecting the intentions of composers.
NorthernTenor
Parish / Diocese: Southwark

Post by NorthernTenor »

presbyter wrote:this illustrates how dumb editors of hymnals have been (and continue to be?) in not respecting the intentions of composers.

This brings to mind the number of times I've heard or read composers and directors of liturgical music admit embarrassment, but shrug their shoulders and say it's what people want. Interestingly, Jeffrey Tucker, one of the most articulate critics of contemporary liturgical music publishing, has written that many of the individuals behind these enterprises - publishers and editors - say the same thing in private conversation. So too, I suspect that a significant number of 'the people' either have little interest in the music they get at Mass, or actively dislike it, but put up with it for the sake of those who provide it.

Of course, that still leaves some who have nailed their colours to the mast of common practice to defend it without apology, but I'm increasingly inclined to suspect an Emperor's New Clothes problem.
Ian Williams
Alium Music
Peter

Post by Peter »

NorthernTenor wrote:I suspect that a significant number of 'the people' either have little interest in the music they get at Mass, or actively dislike it, but put up with it for the sake of those who provide it.
This is probably true of many if not most congregations, but it's also probably true of most musical styles. Some love plainchant and polyphony whereas others "have little interest ... or actively dislike" it and the same goes for 70s songs. As Reginald says, the advantage of the latter is that they do present scriptural texts to those attuned to their style; their drawback is that the music, though often immediately appealing, wears very thin on repetition and ultimately does the words a disservice. We used to sing GSIIMH at my church but now the taste is for shorter hymns and the repetition of a very long refrain is considered tedious.

To get back on topic and answer Johnmac's original question, I have an instrumental arrangement in three parts plus a very simple bass that may be of use to him even though it has no descant. He's welcome to PM me (in the next day or so as I'm busy during June) with details of instruments needed - and I'm willing to supply it provided he also quotes an MRL licence number. (For those unfamiliar with it, the Music Reproduction Licence is an adjunct to the Church Copyright Licence (CCL), allowing photocopying or customised arrangements of music whose copyright is owned by participating publishers or composers; more details at http://www.ccli.co.uk/licences/churches_reproducing-song-words.cfm.)
johnquinn39
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Post by johnquinn39 »

And does anyone sing the rhythm as written at the end of the verse?

HallamPhil

In a word - no.

There is a playable organ arrangement of this in Laudate.

We sang this a while ago at my parish with a good old-fashioned 'dum-chummy-chummy' guitar accompaniment. Leaving aside aesthetic values, I was impressed by the raw energy of the song, the fact that nearly everyone sang, and the fact that it is scripture.

So - hats off to the late Bert Richards!