New texts (Mass, Lectionary, psalms, musical settings etc)

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

johnquinn39
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

New texts (Mass, Lectionary, psalms, musical settings etc)

Post by johnquinn39 »

Has anyone started working on these?

Are the old ones going to be made obselete?

What are people doing?

Is there a link to the musical settings in the New Missal?

John
musicus

Re: New Mass settings

Post by musicus »

johnquinn39 wrote:Is there a link to the musical settings in the New Missal?

Here's a link: http://www.icelweb.org/musicfolder/openmusic.php

However, we can't generally use them yet (or, indeed, any of the new settings that are indeed being composed). As the note on the ICEL page says:
It is important to note that the texts and music available on this site are for study rather than immediate liturgical use as definitive versions will not be available until the Bishops' Conferences have determined a date for the implementation of the Missal.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
HallamPhil
Parish / Diocese: St Lawrence Diocese of St Petersburg

Post by HallamPhil »

It might however be a strategic plan to start using any movements (Lord have mercy and Lamb of God) in which there are no text changes from what is already prescribed in the current Missal. This would make eventual implementation a less tortuous process. It would however be important to check that the text is precisely that which is prescribed.

I am certain that others will already have submitted, by invitation to publishers, re-workings of settings which have proven to be effective and popular. Clearly the same strictures would apply to these over text. In some cases adaptation will be easier than others. We continue to thank composers for all that they offer the Church but, having said this, some favourites may not survive the process. That's life, i'n it?

I do hope, however, that our skilled musicians will be in that process, supporting the changes in the vernacular still maintaining the vision of Vatican 2, rather than merely downing tools in a hissing fit!
NorthernTenor
Parish / Diocese: Southwark

Post by NorthernTenor »

What HallamPhil said.

In addition, this is a marvellous opportunity for composers and church musicians to reflect on the contemplative character of our rite, and adjust the balance of settings from the prosaic and jolly towards the poetic (to take an ecumenical analogy, from Moody and Sankey towards the English Hymnal!).
Ian Williams
Alium Music
dmu3tem

Post by dmu3tem »

Yes, some work is being done by members of the composers group (see the composers group reports in 'Music and Liturgy' and in the composers section of the SSG website). In addition, at last year's Summer School composers in the composers workshop wrote some settings of the new Memorial Acclamation 3.

Offhand I can mention the following settings in addition to the ones done at last year's summer school:

Peter Burke : Gloria 1 and 2 (Unison voices and keyboard accompaniment). These were shown at our most recent meeting in Basingstoke.

: Memorial Acclamations 1-3. This was shown at a meeting last year (I think it was at Sheffield, but I would need to check this).

By myself: Two complete Mass settings (i.e. Lord Have Mercy, Glory to God, Holy Holy, Lamb of God and Memorial Acclamations). The first grew from the new Memorial Acclamation 3 I wrote for last year's summer school workshop. This is scored for Congregation, Cantor, 1-2 melody instruments (Flute/Clarinet/Trumpet/Violin), Organ or (very different) Piano/electronic keyboard. Parts of this were shown at the Portsmouth composers group meeting.
I have only just completed the second Mass setting and hope to try it out at our composers meeting in St Cuthbert's church, Durham on May 8th. This is scored for Congregation, Cantor, optional SATB choir parts, one melody instrument (Clarinet/Flute/Oboe/Trumpet) and keyboard (piano style sustaining pedal needed). In both cases the melody instrument part is not an 'all purpose' part but something specifically designed for the instrument in question.

If anyone is interested in my settings please get in touch or come to the meeting in Durham or our next meeting after that at Oulton Abbey, Nr Stone, Staffs (Oct 16th). Other composers may bring along new settings to these meetings as well. Note that you do not have to be a composer to attend (we can do with extra musicians to help try out the new music). Just let me know you are coming.

I can also mention that some work in this line (using plainchant melodies) was produced at the PMM (Panel of Monastic Musicians meeting) at Douai Abbey last year. I wrote a full report of this in the latest PMM newsletter. To get a copy of the newsletter contact Fr Mark Hartley at Mt St Bernard Abbey, Coalville, Leicestershire.
T.E.Muir
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Post by Hare »

I don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere, but will the "Alleluia" verses be changing? This is not going to be a problem if using a psalm tone for the verses, but in my parish we have a fair few "through-composed" settings which might become redundant........?
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Hare wrote:will the "Alleluia" verses be changing?

It looks as if they will. In addition to a new Missal, a new Lectionary may well be ready at the same time, or perhaps shortly after. The Sundays and major feastdays volumes are in an advanced stage of preparation. The scripture translation in the new Lectionary is NRSV and the psalms are Grail IV. This means that nearly all the Alleluia verses, which are themselves quotations from scripture, will change to conform to the translations of scripture used elsewhere in the Lectionary.

This also seems to mean that many psalm responses will change to accord with the wording of Grail IV (or NRSV, for the small number of non-psalmic responses), thus rendering Psalm Project's work obsolete (well, we did warn him), since all English-speaking countries except the USA will use the new Lectionary.
Hare
Parish / Diocese: Angouleme Diocese, France.

Post by Hare »

Southern Comfort wrote:
Hare wrote:will the "Alleluia" verses be changing?

It looks as if they will. In addition to a new Missal, a new Lectionary may well be ready at the same time, or perhaps shortly after. The Sundays and major feastdays volumes are in an advanced stage of preparation. The scripture translation in the new Lectionary is NRSV and the psalms are Grail IV. This means that nearly all the Alleluia verses, which are themselves quotations from scripture, will change to conform to the translations of scripture used elsewhere in the Lectionary.

This also seems to mean that many psalm responses will change to accord with the wording of Grail IV (or NRSV, for the small number of non-psalmic responses), thus rendering Psalm Project's work obsolete (well, we did warn him), since all English-speaking countries except the USA will use the new Lectionary.

Thank you. I suppose we could start introducing a few new Alleluias anytime and phase out out through-composed ones.
Psalm Project

Post by Psalm Project »

SC... This also seems to mean that many psalm responses will change to accord with the wording of Grail IV (or NRSV, for the small number of non-psalmic responses), thus rendering Psalm Project's work obsolete (well, we did warn him
Nice one! Nothing like an 'I told you so' to warm up my day! :roll:
How can anyone say that the psalms, as produced in my recent publication, will be obsolete? That is nonsense. Just because a new 'version' arrives does not automatically mean what is currently being used gets thrown out. That is the classic 'throwing out the baby with the bath water'.
I could suggest that all psalm paraphrases are/will also obsolete because they do not 'conform' to the official texts. I seriously doubt anyone will prohibit the singing of paraphrase versions, even if the church bulletin / service sheet contains the 'official' Grail IV texts.
A bit of sensibility is needed here.
Has anyone tried to get the new texts? I might consider another publication if I had access to them... and... it has been mentioned that there are errors in the new texts - of course, I cannot confirm that.
One of my colleagues came to me recently concerning this new Grail IV... he made an 'off the cuff' comment - "You know, if we all sang in latin, we might not be having this problem now"
Don't tempt me!

By the way - the psalm books are selling extremely well through my website - primarily in the UK... hmmm
Southern Comfort

A bit defensive, I fear, Psalm Project. In the same way that no publisher has been accepting any mass settings for publication for a number of years now, knowing that a new text was in the works, so those who knew that a new psalm translation was imminent decided to temporise or produce work which could be adapted rapidly to the new situation.

It sounds as if you are not ready yet to adapt your undoubtedly valuable work to a new situation. The fact that your product is selling well probably either means (i) that folk buying it are not aware that change is coming very soon, or (ii) a lot of Anglicans are buying it (they are thirsty for this kind of thing).
mcb
Parish / Diocese: Our Lady's, Lillington

Post by mcb »

No, I think perhaps you're too combative, SC!

We're not in the situation at present where the only texts to which the psalms are sung are those from the Grail psalter approved for the Lectionary. In practice other versions are in use, and to my mind it would require an unhealthy fixation with rubrics to rule out musical settings of other translations of the psalms.

When the revised Grail psalter comes in, we should avoid making a golden calf out of it. Instantly jettisoning all the psalm settings now in use (except those with chanted verses, which presumably could be updated effortlessly to accommodate the new texts) would be to regulate the Church's liturgy by cultural revolution. Much better for the ordinary church musician to quietly soldier on with what we have, and wait for new improved settings to gradually supplant the existing repertoire, which could (and indeed should) take years.

I don't think we're in the same territory here as changes to the text of the Ordinary of the Mass.
Psalm Project

Post by Psalm Project »

MCB - Thank you - Sense!
SC - If only I could show you the list (which I cannot) of those who have purchased - none are Anglican to begin with and several are in high places in the Roman Catholic church. But, that is not the issue.
I have had nothing but positive affirmation about the book (including the SSG article). It is working exceptionally well with congregations and the CD-ROM with the sol-fa and staff is attracting considerable positive affirmation. I recently learned that a church in Dublin has now inserted the psalm graphic into a powerpoint slide for the congregation - very flash indeed! I did not expect that!
It is here to stay for quite some time. Yes, an alternative to accommodate the revised texts can easily be produced. I'll concern myself with that should I find it necessary some time in the unpredictable future!
I'm in no hurry to change just yet! And... this book can be used at times other than mass - so, it has flexibility!
Ah... My dock on the mac is showing MAY 1st... Brill... SUMMER... now, to go find some sunshine. SC - does the sun shine in your part of the world? :lol:
Happy Psalming!!!
Southern Comfort

mcb wrote:I don't think we're in the same territory here as changes to the text of the Ordinary of the Mass.

Not necessarily, if a new Sunday-and-major-feastday Lectionary is implemented at the same time as the new Missal.

I agree that some — perhaps many — people will continue to use various versions of the psalms, but the objective fact will remain that Psalm Project's project, like all others, will be rendered technically out-of-date, so I don't think pointing this out is really combative so much as realistic or at least pragmatic.
musicus

Post by musicus »

Well, that may indeed be so. But perhaps we should keep this topic for discussing new Mass settings - for they surely will make an appearance in due course - and use a different one wherein to discuss the new Lectionary and the psalms.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
Southern Comfort

Oh, OK. Sorry! Hare had set a hare running [sic :D ] on Alleluia verses, which is where all this originated. By all means, let's have two separate threads.