New translations (introduction & catechesis)

Well it does to the people who post here... dispassionate and reasoned debate, with a good deal of humour thrown in for good measure.

Moderators: Dom Perignon, Casimir

docmattc
Parish / Diocese: Westminster

New translations (introduction & catechesis)

Post by docmattc »

According to Zenit, (which my computer is telling me is a malicious site!) the pope says that "many will find it hard to adjust to unfamiliar texts after nearly forty years of continuous use of the previous translation. The change will need to be introduced with due sensitivity, and the opportunity for catechesis that it presents will need to be firmly grasped."

He's stating the obvious, but what plans are there for introduction with sensitivity or for catechesis?
johnquinn39
Parish / Diocese: Birmingham

Re: New translation

Post by johnquinn39 »

Probably none.
johnquinn39

Post by johnquinn39 »

Are there any plans to introduce the new texts at all?
johnquinn39

Post by johnquinn39 »

///
NorthernTenor
Parish / Diocese: Southwark

Post by NorthernTenor »

docmattc wrote:what plans are there for introduction with sensitivity or for catechesis?

Well, with the explicit encouragement of the Holy Father, plus ICEL's catechetical resources, plus the memory of last time around, plus good will, I'm sure the Bishops' Conferences will get it right.
Ian Williams
Alium Music
keitha

Post by keitha »

As I understand it, Recognitio has now been granted for the whole of the new translation of the Roman Missal.
Keith Ainsworth
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

keitha wrote:As I understand it, Recognitio has now been granted for the whole of the new translation of the Roman Missal.

Yes, possibly — but no official confirmation of this as yet. In any case, it would only be recognitio for a generic universal text, rather like the generic text of the General Instruction on the Roman Missal. The individual episcopal conferences will receive their individual Missal texts along with their individual recognitios, and no one yet knows if these will include the modifications to the universal text that they have requested or whether these will be dealt with separately.

The word on the street is that recognitios (more properly recognitiones !) will be at least a month away from now.
Southern Comfort

docmattc wrote:what plans are there for introduction with sensitivity or for catechesis?

Apologies for the late response to this. I think you will find that a national scheme for catechesis will be coming at an episcopal conference near you, as soon as or shortly after recognitio comes through. The intention is that this scheme will be adopted by the dioceses and rolled out locally, although in theory there is nothing to stop each diocese for doing its own thing.

There will also be a resource DVD available, including much useful material at many different levels, which has been prepared on an international basis. Some bishops have already indicated that they will provide this for all their clergy, along with other materials, such as the catechetical materials produced by LTP of Chicago.
justMary
Parish / Diocese: Republic of Ireland

Post by justMary »

Southern Comfort wrote:
keitha wrote:As I understand it, Recognitio has now been granted for the whole of the new translation of the Roman Missal.

Yes, possibly — but no official confirmation of this as yet. In any case, it would only be recognitio for a generic universal text, rather like the generic text of the General Instruction on the Roman Missal. The individual episcopal conferences will receive their individual Missal texts along with their individual recognitios, and no one yet knows if these will include the modifications to the universal text that they have requested or whether these will be dealt with separately.

The word on the street is that recognitios (more properly recognitiones !) will be at least a month away from now.

The USCCB appears to have received theirs:
http://www.usccb.org/comm/archives/2010/10-085.shtml
Southern Comfort

justMary wrote:The USCCB appears to have received theirs:
http://www.usccb.org/comm/archives/2010/10-085.shtml

This actually still refers to the generic text, recognitio dated 25 March. The American BCDW (Bishops' Committee for Divine Worship) sent this yesterday (30 April) to American liturgical publishers:

As you have probably heard by now, the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments has issued the recognitio for the English-language text of the Roman Missal, approving the text for liturgical use in the English-speaking world. In addition, the Congregation has approved a number of adaptations and particular texts for use in the Dioceses of the United States.

It appears that implementation will likely be the First Sunday of Advent, 2011, but Cardinal Francis George, OMI, Archbishop of Chicago and USCCB President, will make the official decision and announce the effective date for the new text.

The text is still undergoing final editing by Vatican officials at this time. They expect to send the final text in approximately one month. At this time, because we have not seen the Missal, we do not know exactly what is in the approved text, or which adaptations for the Dioceses of the United States have been approved. Until the final text is presented and reviewed, we ask that you continue to wait for further clarification before beginning to distribute or market any texts related to the new Missal, especially musical settings of the parts of the Order of Mass.

We also do not know in what format we will receive the final text. We anticipate that it will take some time to reconcile the final text and produce an electronic text to present to publishers.

Thank you for your patience, your support, and your collaborative efforts that we pray will bear abundant fruit in the years to come.
Southern Comfort

Of course, one of the implications of what is going on is that it is theoretically possible for different countries to have different texts of the Order of Mass such that music settings would not be able to be used in other countries, unlike the present situation. We wait in joyful [sic] hope.....
musicus

Post by musicus »

Welcome to the forum, justMary.
musicus - moderator, Liturgy Matters
blog
justMary

Post by justMary »

musicus wrote:Welcome to the forum, justMary.

Thank you. I've been lurking for a while, signed up recently and couldn't resist posting that link. I suspect you might hear more from me :wink:
justMary

Post by justMary »

Am I the only one who thinks it's odd that the recognitio has been issued, even though (allegedly) "The text is still undergoing final editing by Vatican officials at this time."

Also, Has anyone actually seen ICEL's DVD? Beautifully described here: /www.becomeonebodyonespiritinchrist.org/ except for details about how to get it.

I know they're probably thinking that local Bishops will control how/where they're accessed. But as an OPL (ordinary lay person) living in the West of Ireland, that probably means I won't see it 'til 2020 at best!

How long until excerpts make it to youtube I wonder.

Regarding the possibility of different countries having different approved versions: I suspect that the differences are more likely to be in the "approved texts " for local saints and feasts etc, with maybe the very occasional difference due to cultural "hot button" in the core text. Could be wrong though.
Southern Comfort

justMary wrote:Has anyone actually seen ICEL's DVD? Beautifully described here: /www.becomeonebodyonespiritinchrist.org/ except for details about how to get it.

It's not ready yet. They will be editing it in the light of the actual texts that given recognitio, so the best estimate is a month from now, and possibly longer. I believe one contributor to this forum has seen it, but, as I say, it's not in a final form yet.